Sr Coordinator, Production Rights & Clearances and Licensing Operations
New York, NY
Overview and Responsibilities
Overview and Responsibilities
The Manager of Production Clearances will work closely with the Senior Vice President and Senior Director to formulate licensing strategy and negotiate favorable rates for the use of third party elements across Comedy Central, Paramount Network, TV Land, and Awesomeness long form and short form content. Working closely with Production (in-house and/or third party), Development, Brand Creative (Marketing), Digital, Social, Business Affairs and IP Litigation this position works at the heart of production. This position may partner to oversee project based employees and/or interns.
• Manage multiple priorities at a time related to licensing for series from pre-production to post; collaborate with client partners at all stages of creative and production process; be proactive in identifying rights issues/necessary permission, and propose alternative cost-savings and process improvement solutions during content production and execution.
• Execute copyright research and facilitate clearance requests; Negotiate, review and draft licenses and permissions with copyright owners of film, TV, photography, stock and viral footage, games, books, magazines, fonts, etc.
• Accurately draft and analyze complex license agreements; negotiate with licensors via email, phone, and in-person.
• Make effective presentations on rights and licensing related topics to client groups and employees.
• Maintain tracking reports for all assigned programs/projects and ensure that licenses are executed and paid in a timely manner. Regularly report clearance costs to Production and Production Management via tracking reports.
• Attend greenlight and music meetings with Production and Development teams.
• Review all deliverables in connection to Third Party productions, including, but not limited to Guest and Location Releases and all Licenses for Third Party content.
To be successful in the role, you will have
• Expertise in licensing third party IP (footage, photos, fonts, graphics, etc) for use in linear and digital programming, advertising, promotions, and brand integrations.
• Established relationships within the licensing community with Films Studios, Photos Houses, etc.
• Passion and comprehensive understanding of the media industry, trends and issues; ability to find opportunities for new partnerships and cross-promotional engagements.
• An understanding of the production process and practical needs of Media Production.
• 3+ years' experience in a production company, advertising agency, film studio, television network, music publisher, or record label. Equivalent work experience in a music department/licensing capacity highly preferable.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred. A focus in Television, Film, Communications, Publishing, Marketing, Business or similar preferred.
• Prior negotiating experience required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication. interpersonal and negotiation skills
• Willingness to tackle and resolve issues, demonstrating sound judgement and paying great attention to detail.
• Tech-savvy individual proficient in all current document and database systems.
ViacomCBS is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, CBS All Access, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others.