Business Operations Associate - Emerging Products
The Director of Application Development is strategic for setting and leading the technical direction of the content licensing product center. This leader represents the technical team collaborating with solution executives and analysts. This role will lead a team of application development resources in support of the content licensing and distribution project initiatives to ensure consistency, compliance, and standardization. The Director is responsible for the effective and accurate operation of systems supported. This will include responding to business user questions and requests as well as working with developers and testing resources to maintain the system. The Director will be accountable for assigning and tracking tasks for the team made up of any combination of employees, and consultants, temps or ''loaners'' from other ViacomCBSTech departments.
The Director of Application Development sets the technical direction according to the business needs and strategy as outlined by solution executives. This leader will supervise development staff for all team activities including resource management, project planning & tracking, budgeting, delivering solutions to the business community and partnering with solution executives to align team goals to business demand. The Director sets the tone for a quality team that handles commitments and delivers solutions to reduce risk, improve revenue and optimize processes. Ultimately, this role abstracts the challenges of running a distributed development team from the functional team so that they may focus on adding value for the business.
• Establishes partnerships of trust and confidence by providing sound technical guidance to a multi-billion dollar product center supporting multiple lines of business within ViacomCBS.
• Participates in ideation and demand planning to build short and long-term project plans (forecasts) and roadmaps.
• Works closely with business sponsors to ensure development activities are in alignment with business objectives.
• Leads the team towards modern architecture, including cloud technologies, PaaS, SaaS, and best-in-industry vendor packages.
• Responsible for application development project plans; approving scope of work, decomposing requirements into technical tasks, estimating time and cost, allocating resources, and identification of critical path activities and dependencies.
• Performs build versus buy analysis, creates platform replacement plans, and facilitates vendor relationships and negotiations including consulting costs, software licenses, etc. as it relates to development and support projects.
• Evaluates and implements new technologies, products and tools used in the development environment in accordance to compliance and security policies and procedures.
• Self-motivated with the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment.
• Leads the activities of the development team, including forecasting, time tracking, vacation planning, goal setting, employee evaluation and career development.
• Provides leadership and hands-on experience to project teams at all stages of development activities. This includes the creation of data models, application code, user documentation, on-line help facilities and testing plans. Provides full guidance to the project team in all phases of the development lifecycle.
• Aligns teams strengths and weaknesses with overall development plan.
• Ensures on-time and feature-complete delivery of projects.
• Utilizes the agile scrum methodology and automation to drive continuous delivery and integrations throughout the SDLC process.
• Understands version control, small check-ins, labeling, and standard methodologies for both source code and database deployments.
• Identifies and resolves problems by monitoring progress and project status. Advances important issues to the attention of the department head to allow for prompt decisions.
• Creates and reviews accurate and complete technical documentation including approach documents, impact analysis, and physical and conceptual topology and component diagrams.
• Establishes team's governance standards and best practices. Deliver quality solutions, root cause analysis, implement policies and procedures and ensure SOX and security policy compliance.
• Ensures staff is appropriately equipped and trained to perform all job functions.
• Drives the team to uphold a relentless pursuit of system availability.
• Creates, executes, and maintains multi-tier staff support plans for during and after business hours.
• Identifies and resolves project issues, including issue tracking and escalation.
• Performs data driven analysis to develop team quality and velocity along with recognizing and implementing service improvements.
• Effectively expresses oneself in all communications.
• Promotes the spirit and essence of the team's, mission, values, and key strategies through both verbal and written communication.
• Demonstrates tact, diplomacy, respect, and composure when dealing with others.
• Monitors and reports project and support progress, problems and solutions in a timely manner.
• Provides clear and regular communication with all project partners at all levels, including presentations to senior management with agendas and meeting minutes.
• Provides guidance and assistance to applications users and support teams on all aspects of application deployment, training and support, including: Installation, Configuration, First and Second tier support.
• Actively participates in applications planning/strategy meetings and provides input on the most appropriate and effective use of applications.
• Minimum of Seven (7) years of experience leading and/or handling application development efforts with at least two to three (2-3) years in a supervisory capacity.
• Experience leading 7 or more people.
• Understanding of cloud principles and experience with digital transformation, containerization, micro services, etc.
• Excellent skills and considerable experience in interpersonal relationships including handling, motivating, and setting policies for technical staff.
• Strong leadership skills, able to quickly take control of situations, achieve consensus of team, peers and clients, and be viewed as a service provider to clients.
• Inspiring leader who appreciates an environment fostering a collegial and collaborative mentality, where individuals are encouraged to work together to fulfill common goals and objectives.
• Excellent communications skills to confidently interact with senior management. Ability to effectively articulate a customer strategy and direction that supports the goals of the client organization.
• Strong analytical skills to collect and organize data and summarize findings to develop conclusions and recommendations.
• Leading to budget and to schedule in high pressure production environments.
• Ability to decompose problems into estimable components.
• Adept at aligning team's strengths and weaknesses with overall development plan.
• Knowledge of Software Design Patterns, OO programming and Best Practices
• Knowledge of SQL query execution
• Knowledge of .NET a plus
FUNCTION: IT/Technology Operations