Junior Designer, One World & New Pop Culture-Focused Imprint
Penguin Random House
New York, NY
The Simon & Schuster Design and Digital Content Development team is hiring a desktop publishing designer to help us make great books. The designer will be responsible for:
• Typesetting and composition of new books, including making corrections to existing files
• Creating enlargement and reduction samples
• Flowing books in InDesign, reflowing books to meet new trim sizes
• Creating books of varying complexity based on existing designs
• Reviewing and rebuilding assets from foreign publishers to comply with in-house design standards
• Creating original designs for eBooks, trade paperback, and hardcover. This includes designing titles with complex design elements, such as complicated back matter material, photos t/o, indexes, subheads, etc.
• Assisting in training junior staff on new concepts/processes
• Assisting with complex backlist conversions, patches, and reprints
• Assisting with reviewing and finalizing Wiki documentation for Desktop department procedures
• Creating spine dies and selecting jacket case materials
• Reviewing file quality and composition of backlist titles for content update requests/reprinting
• Assisting with supervising reprint corrections
The designer should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and organized. Because the job is deadline-sensitive, this person must be able to manage their time extremely well.
'- Minimum 3 years of book publishing design experience
• Experienced in InDesign
• Familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator
• Knows proofreader's marks
• Experienced with book composition standards
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d88oem-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.