Vice President Legal Affairs
Overview and Responsibilities
Deadline to Apply: Friday, April 9th, 2021
Are you intrigued by the ever-evolving business side of the entertainment industry? Are you a go-to legal expert by day and a reality TV binger by night? If these questions spark your interest – read on!
We are seeking law school graduates with 2-3 years of work experience to join its Business and Legal Affairs (BALA) team in an exciting rotational role with direct exposure to some of the top entertainment lawyers in the industry! The contracts you negotiate and deals you close will influence the pulse of media and popular culture. If playing a vital role working on important legal matters in an upbeat and vibrant industry sounds appealing, then the ViacomCBS BALA Fellowship could be the perfect next step for your career.
• Handle a heavy volume of development and production responsibilities (e.g. drafting agreements) across various platforms, relating to both network and studio businesses and the production of original programming both ''in-house'' and through third party production companies.
• Support branded joint promotions with advertisers and sponsors, integrated marketing productions, interstitial programming, live events and on-air series promotional announcements.
• Advise production clients on a wide range of issues in the broadcast and digital realms, including copyright, trademarks, defamation, privacy, and right of publicity.
• Review scripts, episodes, and other related materials to identify legal issues.
• Investigate and respond to production-related claims.
• Partner day-to-day with our in-house lawyers to provide practical, strategic advice and legal counsel to business clients regarding risk management and legal implications of proposed business opportunities and actions.
• Cultivate relationships and maintain channels of communication with key internal BALA partners in technical areas including rights and clearances, music strategy, risk management, trademarks, unions and guilds, and litigation.
• Full time staff position for two years, which includes competitive annual salary and benefits.
• Two 12-month rotations to aid in a full understanding of entertainment law.
• Professional development opportunities, formal mentorship, training sessions, and networking across the organization.
• Applicants must be barred in NY, CA, or be qualified to apply for registered-in-house counsel in either NY or CA.
• Must have 2-3 years of legal experience, post law school (this does not include internships).
• Proper work authorization to be employed within the United States for the full length of the program (July 2021-July 2023).
• Passionate about working in media & entertainment; experience within the industry is a plus.
• Excellent drafting and negotiation skills. Heavy drafting will be required for this role.
• Interest and knowledge in digital, tech, or new platforms a plus.
• Strong communication skills – both written and verbal.
• Results-oriented with ability to balance multiple assignments at a time in a fast paced environment to achieve desired results and operate independently with minimal supervision and work long hours as necessary.
• Ability to build positive client relationships at all levels of the business, and advise clients in an ever-evolving corporate environment.
• Collaborative, team-oriented approach.