Universal Music Group is looking for a Director, Data Scientist to join our in-house data research team, working across prediction, machine learning, analysis, workflow optimization and other areas where data and statistical methods can be applied to measurable advantage.
The ideal candidate should have a strong passion for music and music discovery, as well as a strong statistical background, with a very good understanding of common machine learning techniques. Candidates should at least be proficient in R or Python, and SQL.
This candidate should also have a demonstrated ability to manage client requests in a professional manner, communicate research and learnings to a variety of different audience types (from Senior Executives down to fellow Analysts), and work in both project teams and in silo to solve interesting problems in a consultative fashion.
How you'll CREATE:
• Research and develop models/insight to help drive business objectives.
• Develop advanced test and learn approaches around artist and consumption analysis.
• Build/refine/improve new or pre-existing statistical models or processes.
• Advise on artist performance and analytical methods to help guide or inform strategy.
• Preparing data sets for applications such as classification, modelling and clustering.
• Developing new data features that can become invaluable pieces of insight.
• Integrate with external and internal APIs and data sources to augment music consumption data to uncover shifting market trends, new opportunities, operational efficiencies
Bring your VIBE:
• Passion and curiosity for music and the data that is used within the industry
• Proficient in at least one of R and Python.
• Advanced knowledge and experience of writing and tuning SQL
• Ability to query our databases (using platforms such as BigQuery) accurately and efficiently using SQL
• Excellent knowledge of using common Python/R statistical packages such as NumPy, SciPy, Statsmodels, scikit-learn, pandas, ggplot, etc...
• Experience in data mining tools and algorithms, machine learning, and statistics (e.g. regression, decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, clustering, survival analysis, graph theory, etc.).
• Demonstrated experience developing machine learning models (e.g. distributed model training with SparkML, PyTorch, Tensorflow, etc.) to deliver robust predictions and inferences in a production scale environment
• Knowledge or experience of working with Google Cloud Platforms products like BigQuery, Dataflow, Dataproc, Machine Leaning or similar cloud solutions would be desirable
• Importantly being creative and thinking outside the box in the way we tackle and build solutions.
• Capable of tackling very loosely defined problems
• 2+ years of corporate experience (at the PhD level) / 4+ years of corporate experience (at the MS level) working in a data scientist or equivalent role
• Experience managing and engaging with clients in a consultative or analytical capacity.
• Experience working with development teams to productize work.
• Degree in Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or a similarly quantitative degree
• Competitive Compensation Package including Salary, Benefits and Generous 401k Savings Plan
• Paid Time Off – Paid Holidays, ''Gift Week'', Summer Fridays
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance
• Employee Developmental Support
• Annual Gym Reimbursement Package
• Pet Insurance, plus much more!
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4xwj1-3-229-142-104-42 in your application.