This job exists to provide ongoing legal counsel related to drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of legal agreements, primarily agreements related to production of master recordings, distribution of master recordings (physical and digital formats), and various other marketing and promotional matters. The job also includes drafting, reviewing, and negotiating other agreements such as artist agreements, as well as research into various trademark issues and other legal matters.
How you'll CREATE:
• Draft, negotiate and review contracts relating to the production and exploitation of master recordings, such as guest artist agreements, producer agreements, mixer agreements, talent agreements sample licenses and exclusivity waivers and similar agreements.
• Draft, negotiate and review contracts relating to integrated marketing and co-branding initiatives, sponsorships, promotions and product placements, influencer marketing campaigns, merchandising rights and non-disclosure agreements.
• Draft, negotiate and review contracts relating to engagement of independent contractors, venue and equipment rentals, live event productions, television and film productions and related soundtrack albums.
• Assist with drafting and negotiation of artist agreements and amendments as directed by Head of Business and Legal Affairs.
• Coordinate regularly with finance department to review deal structures, approved company vendor lists and contractual payment obligations.
• Review artwork and audio-visual content for potential trademark, guest artist, or venue issues and if necessary, obtain clearances and/or recommend edits to such materials.
• Review label copy, record packaging and legal lines for accuracy and completeness.
• Review sweepstakes and contesting initiatives to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines.
• Advise members of senior management with respect to various business and legal matters including copyright and trademark laws, contractual rights and obligations, legal claims, dispute resolution, and corporate compliance matters.
• Coordinate with various UMG corporate departments, such as copyright, global digital business, catalog, licensing and royalties, to ensure terms of third-party agreements are consistent with UMG overall policies, procedures and blanket agreements.
• Track options for existing agreements.
• Attend staff and departmental meetings as directed by Head of Business and Legal Affairs and provide legal advice on a wide range of issues.
• Assist with updating standard form agreements as needed and as directed.
• Analyze and provide updates as applicable regarding changes to laws, regulations, guidelines and court rulings that potentially affect UMGN operations and procedures.
• Summarize contracts and enter information into centralized database.
• Perform legal and contractual research as required.
• Handle and safeguard high-level confidential and sensitive information.
Bring your VIBE:
• Able to communicate complicated legal issues succinctly to non-lawyers.
• Able to interact with non-lawyers, as well as lawyers, without alienating either group.
• Familiarity with agreements related to the music and entertainment industry, especially recording artist, songwriter, and producer agreements.
• Comfortable working with new and evolving business models in an evolving industry and business.
• Must be able to work under time constraints.
• Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities.
• High level of attention to detail.
• Proficient in Word.
• Competent in Excel and Outlook.
• Very organized, able to shift prioritization quickly and come back to unfinished matters.
• Minimum 5 years law practice experience required. Record label or law firm experience in entertainment law preferred.
• JD required.
• TN Bar License or willing to register as in-house counsel.
• Be part of an entrepreneurial, global organization that values authenticity, drive, creativity, relationships, and a competitive spirit
• Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and FSA options, as well as:
• 100% coverage for out-patient mental health services
• Wellbeing reimbursements for fitness classes, spa treatments, meal services, travel, and so much more (up to $720/year)
• A lifetime fertility support allowance of $30,000 to plan participants
• Student Loan Repayment Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
• 100% immediately vested 401(k) match on the first 5% of your contribution on eligible compensation
• Variety of ways to prioritize much-needed time away from work including:
• Flexible Paid Time Off (PTO) for exempt employees
• 3-weeks PTO for non-exempt employees
• 2-weeks paid Winter Break
• 10 Company Holidays (including Juneteenth and Wellbeing Day)
• Summer Fridays (between Memorial Day and Labor Day)
• Generous paid parental leave for every type of parent
Check out our full overview of benefits on the Perks Playlist page of the career site.
Disclaimer: This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an E-Verify employer in Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Utah.
Business & Legal Affairs
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv2mkw-3-238-180-174-42 in your application.