Specialist, Paid Media
WarnerMedia is looking for an SVP, WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer Research, to head the group responsible for leading WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer's research efforts, which focus on brand and market strategies, growth and content marketing, customer satisfaction, product strategy and user experience, as well as understanding the changing entertainment landscape and identifying potential and emerging trends as the industry and consumers evolve.
The SVP will be a key strategist and advisor to help inform business priorities and critical decision making. The SVP will plan and direct all primary and secondary research related to the areas noted above. Additionally, the SVP will be responsible for partnering with other segments of the company on strategic research and insights to inform key areas like content strategy and ad sales.
The position will play a key role on the broader leadership team, as well as with other research team leaders across the company, domestically and internationally. The SVP will be responsible for helping the organization manage through the complex changes and disruption in the media industry.
The SVP will oversee a team of approximately 25 research professionals and must be able to lead effectively and independently. The SVP must be able to partner with internal/external stakeholders and work collaboratively in a highly matrixed organization. Work will focus on domestic operations but will include collaboration with international research teams, leading certain global research projects and delivering global data and insights where needed (e.g., for our global product and platform implementations).
• Responsible for effectively managing resources by setting operational goals/priorities, developing research strategies, creating action plans and timelines, assigning resources, monitoring projects, communicating progress, managing stakeholder & management expectations, delivering results and managing budgets.
• Responsible for the design of high-impact primary research studies and presentations to ensure that they support business priorities and provide added value.
• Leads by example, developing and maintaining a work environment that fosters collegiality, respect and leadership at all levels and encourages creativity and collaboration across groups.
• Must be comfortable in a fast-moving environment where creative paths to generating informed, time-pressured decision-making is often necessary.
• Proactively fosters business and department goals, demonstrating a commitment to fulfilling stakeholder needs and expectations and inspiring / motivating staff to deliver at a high level.
• Act as a strategic advisor, effectively voicing fact-based insights and recommendations on issues relating to business goals and strategies.
• Develop and present strategic, long-range research regarding the competitive landscape and the evolution of the media industry; provide practical, business-oriented and actionable findings.
• Act in partnership with other key research leadership across the company, providing guidance
on appropriate measurement, reporting, data systems and capabilities to successfully navigate through the disruptive changes in the industry.
• Oversee all stages of primary research including design, fieldwork, analysis and interpretation of research studies, both qualitative and quantitative.
• Lead the team in performing interpretive analyses to transform data into valuable information. Develop and implement new ways to display data in a manner that is more visual and easier to understand, across all channels of communication.
• Research and help predict upcoming genre trends/fads/what's hot in support of timely development and production in developing areas.
• Communicate effectively and persuasively to drive the business to the right conclusions.
• Partner closely with the WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer Strategy team to develop forward-looking, high-impact strategic guidance and recommendations for the organization.
• Partner closely with the Studios and Networks group that oversees research on content strategy and development to insure close alignment, particularly when it comes to content marketing/promotion.
• Must have proven experience building and scaling process to support major digital products in market.
• Strong experience and ability to develop and support assigned staff.
• Bachelor's Degree required. Previous entertainment or streaming video experience preferred.
• 15+ years of experience in market research. Must include knowledge of and significant experience with a breadth and depth of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, including global applications as well as domestic.
• Experience overseeing research in support of direct-to-consumer initiatives, ideally those related to subscription businesses (segmenting, targeting, acquiring, retaining and scaling a subscriber base).
• A passion for the brands and the entertainment industry, a deep understanding of internet culture and a knack for spotting and steering great storytelling in the digital space.
• Extensive experience working closely with brand/marketing teams, launching and evolving consumer brands, testing multi-faceted creative campaigns, and combining insights across brand/marketing and product experience (app + content).
• Ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally with all levels; exceptional verbal and written communication skills, as well as a working knowledge of statistics.
• Analytical problem-solving skills, including the ability to break down data/information, often derived from multiple and nuanced sources, into meaningful findings and deliver recommendations that lead to informed decision-making.
• Ability to use a data-driven approach to problem solving and scaling.
• Experience working with first-party and third-party data sources, qualitative and quantitative research techniques and linear and digital media data sources and measurement
• Strong aptitude for building effective relationships in a fast-paced, constantly changing and deadline driven environment. Must be experienced working across discrete business groups, in particular those supporting joint dependencies.
• Experience with marketing attribution modeling, including modeling across online and offline marketing platforms.
• Experience with data gathering, model building, calibration, cross-validation, and maximizing model accuracy for the entire funnel.
• Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with shifting priorities and the ability to react quickly, dynamically, and intelligently, while navigating a complex organization.
• Ability to work under pressure without sacrificing accuracy and attention to detail; strong project management skills are essential.
• Can set a vision, respond to cultural and consumer trends (both domestic and global), as well as shifts in our business needs.
• Executes against a vision via small, medium, and long-term projects, both strategic and tactical.
• Strong people management skills; ability to strategically lead and manage a team of research experts and related support staff.
• Strong leadership and strategy skills.