Director, Data Engineering
Turner Services Inc. seeks a Director, Data Quality for the Data Intel&Op – HBO Max department.
We have created a new Data Insights and Operations (DIO) group within the HBOMAX Direct-To-Consumer Organization to make the streaming products more data-driven. This team is looking to hire a motivated Director of Data Quality who will be leading a team of data engineers and data analysts to build a platform wide data quality framework. The platform hosts wide varieties of data products such as but not limited to, Subscription, Content, and Product Analytics, Personalization and Recommendation, Marketing & Ad-Sales enablement. You will be charged with not only building a data quality framework, also working with various data engineering teams and stakeholders to understand data quality expectations and apply frameworks across the platform to monitor, audit and report data quality issues. Work closely with data engineering team to continually improve data quality. This team will also be responsible to report Governance and Legal issues to make sure platform is compliant as per internal and external rules and guidelines.
The ideal candidate will bring in his/her expertise in a wide variety of data quality process automation frameworks, big data processing frameworks (both open source and proprietary), large scale database systems (OLAP and OLTP), stream data processing, data mart development, and BI/Analytics Tools in order to build a scalable, fully automated DQ process.
• Hire Data Quality Engineers, Data Quality Analysts to build and maintain data quality framework across the platform.
• Lead and mentor one or more data engineering team(s), make them productive, keep them stay focused and motivated in an intense and demanding environment.
• Conduct stakeholder interviews to understand quality concerns and expectations – requirements may come from an internal data engineering team or external stakeholders.
• Work closely with higher management, various stakeholders to prioritize the requirements.
• Work closely with your team to architect and implement various DQ capabilities, apply them across various data processing workflows – including streaming, batch and other ML pipelines.
• Present platform architecture, roadmap, plans, status, and risk to various stakeholders including higher management.
• Work with data science team to understand special needs to ML pipeline quality – build those capabilities
• Champion security and governance and make sure data engineering team following all the company guidelines while delivering data products. Report non-compliance
• Take ownership of the platform quality by providing 24X7 support.
• Assist in the preparation of presentations and formal analysis in support of executive decision making and strategy development.
• Secure funding to operationalize the tools/frameworks, build a roll-out strategy for any changes in the platform.
• Help with resource planning and budget to maintain the platform.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or Similar discipline.
• 12+ years of experience in software engineering
• 7+ years of experience in engineering management.
• 3+ years of experience in data quality engineering.
• Prior experience in Consumer Data (Subscription, Engagement Metrics, Marketing, AdSales) is highly preferred.
• Go above and beyond attitude – ready to roll up sleeves in order to meet business expectations.
• Ability to work in fast paced, high pressure, agile environment.
• Ability to lead one or more teams to deliver high quality data products.
• Prior in at least few programming languages - Java, Scala, Python or similar.
• Expertise in architecting and building data quality frameworks using open source and/or proprietary tools.
• Expertise in building and managing large volume data quality process (both streaming and batch) platform is a must.
• Expertise in OLAP databases such as Snowflake or Redshift.
• Expertise in ANSI SQL, Hive/Spark SQL is must
• Experience with Analytics Tools such as Looker, Tableau or similar is must.
• Cloud (AWS) and Cloud Monitoring Tools (such as DataDog or similar) experience preferred
• Experience with variety of data Tools & frameworks (example: Apache Airflow) will be a plus.
• Experience in stream processing systems such as Kafka, Kinesis, Pulsar or Similar is a plus
• Experience in distributed data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark, Flink or Similar will be a plus.
• Ability and willingness to learn and teach new process and frameworks to continuously improve the platform
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
• Strong team focus with outstanding organizational and resource management skills