Awesome Job: Senior Manager, Kafka
Great Location: Los Angeles or Remote
We're fans who help fans everywhere get into the live events they love. A proud division of Live Nation Entertainment, Ticketmaster has changed the way the world connects with their favourite artists, teams, and shows, and we continue to shape innovation every day. We're not just selling tickets (though we do that better than anyone else), we're enriching lives one amazing experience at a time. And we think that's pretty amazing. If you're passionate about the magic of live entertainment like we are, and you want to work at a company dedicated to helping millions of fans experience it, we want to hear from you.
We have a 'Fan First' mindset, placing customers at the heart of everything we do. Whether working behind the scenes or engaging directly with the 'Fan' you will be part of a culture that supports and enriches the fan experience. Your work, our passion… delivering world class experiences – Fan First.
A career at Ticketmaster will challenge and engage you. We support the creators and producers of shows and live performances, while connecting more passionate fans to these events. The pace here is fast, the atmosphere is fun and a passion for live events is a common thread that ties us together. As a global and growing business, we can truly offer a world of opportunities to expand your skills and develop your career. Visit any of our offices and you'll find a diverse mix of passionate employees, helping fans around the globe connect with the artists, teams and events they love. It truly is a unique and rewarding environment.
You will be part of the Global Developer Platform team, which delivers the tools, services, governance and support developers use at Ticketmaster to build, test, secure, and deploy to our fans and clients.
In the role of Senior Manager – Kafka Engineering, you will lead a team of skilled engineers that build our Kafka infrastructure and operate is a managed service to the large Ticketmaster Technology organization. You will be responsible for leading technical direction and implementation of the Kafka data streams platform. This critical service powers all aspects of our business from the sale of tickets for the world's largest live events to providing access into those events and more.
You will be accountable for ensuring that our hybrid cloud Kafka infrastructure is highly available, sustainable, performant, cost effective, and usable by hundreds of developers.
You will work closely with the VP – Developer Platform, software development leadership, technical operations leadership, architecture, PMO and vendors from around the globe to deliver these services.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
• Lead and develop a team of systems engineers supporting Kafka, Kafka tools, and it's underlying infrastructure
• Work with the VP – Developer Platform to assess the needs of Software Engineering within the Kafka ecosystem
• Lead the daily operations of planning, engineering, and supporting Kafka services and infrastructure
• Establish, communicate, and advocate best practices and design patterns related to Kafka consumption
• Provide mentoring to other team members
• Assess and size effort associated with work backlog and participate in grooming
• Establish and execute a program of work to mature the streams processing service offering
• Collaborate with other operations team to ensure highly available service and response respective to developer support
• Interview and participate in building a team to establish a center of excellence and expertise in streams processing
• Participate in regular planning cycles to align business priorities to programs of work within your organization
• Provide recommendations, including resourcing, of strategic projects to mature and improve the service
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (or TECHNICAL SKILLS/COMPETENCIES)
• Experience in a leadership role of a team providing managed services or large-scale operations teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong operational background running Kafka clusters at scale
• Knowledge of both physical/onprem systems and public cloud infrastructure
• Strong understanding of Kafka broker, connect, and topic tuning and architectures
• Strong understanding of Linux fundamentals as related to Kafka performance
• Filesystem tuning and related kernel tuning and troubleshooting
• Storage hardware and trade-offs
• Network TCP stack tuning and troubleshooting
• Background in both Systems and Software Engineering
• Competent developing software in 1 or more of high level language
• Competent with configuration management in code/IaC including Ansible and Terraform
• Competent operating Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in large scale environments - ( runtime settings, JMX, troubleshooting, garbage collection, etc… )
• Passionate about data driven operations; building and leveraging observability with tools such as Prometheus and Grafana
• Knowledge and experience of containers and Kubernetes cluster
• Hands on experience delivering complex software in an enterprise environment
• Experience working in a remote team across multiple regions and time zones
• Comfortable working with structured Change and Incident Management
YOU (BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS/COMPETENCIES)
• Highly collaborative leader with ability to communicate effectively in all formats
• Able to effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Able to motivate and mentor a team of skilled engineers
• Autonomous and proactive.
• Passionate about the value of broad scale streams processing
• Passionate about providing greater transparency to health and status of Ticketmaster systems
• Keenly empathetic to the day to day experience of software development teams
• A transparent communicator
• Deeply concerned with the security and compliance implications of your services and solutions
• Capable of delivering and accepting empathetic, constructive criticism with reports, peers, leadership and stakeholders
• Conscious of the developers need for speed of delivery and the enterprise need for governance and cost management
• Creates an environment of inclusion across multiple cultures and time zones
• Passionate about live entertainment and enabling the world's passions through live events
Rock Solid Reliability – I earn the trust of clients, co-workers and fans; I set clear expectations; I deliver high quality work on time and on task; I take the time to do things right
Winning Teamwork – I collaborate with others; I share information openly; I listen and take time to empathise and understand where others are coming from; I show recognition and appreciation for the contributions of others
Act with Integrity – I am proud of the way I represent myself and the company to others; I act with good intentions; I have direct, honest conversations while creating a safe work environment for open dialogue; I represent information and data accurately and completely
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm5njv-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.