JOB DESCRIPTION – LEAD ENGINEER, KAFKA ENGINEERING
Location: Remote, North America or Europe
Division: Ticketmaster Tech
Line Manager: Manager – Kafka Engineering
Contract Terms: Permanent, 40 hours per week
A career at Ticketmaster will challenge and engage you. We support the creators and producers of shows and live performances, while connecting more passionate fans to these events. The pace here is fast, the atmosphere is fun and a passion for live events is a common thread that ties us together. As a global and growing business, we can truly offer a world of opportunities to expand your skills and develop your career. Visit any of our offices and you'll find a diverse mix of passionate employees, helping fans around the globe connect with the artists, teams and events they love. It truly is a unique and rewarding environment.
You will be part of the Global Developer Platform team, which delivers the tools, services, governance and support developers use at Ticketmaster to build, test, secure, and deploy to our fans and clients.
In the role of Lead Engineer – Kafka Engineering, you will be responsible for leading technical direction and implementation of Ticketmaster's software pipeline and observability platform. This critical service powers all aspects of our business from the sale of tickets for the world's largest live events to providing access into those events and more.
You will be responsible for the technical aspects of ensuring that our hybrid cloud Kafka infrastructure is highly available, sustainable, performant, cost effective, and usable by hundreds of developers.
You will work closely with the Manager – Kafka Engineering, software development leadership, technical operations leadership, architecture, PMO and vendors from around the globe to deliver these services.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
• Work with the Manager – Kafka Engineering to assess the needs of Software Engineering within the Kafka ecosystem
• Establish, communicate, and advocate best practices and design patterns related to Kafka consumption
• Participate in and occasionally lead the daily, weekly, sprint cycle team ceremonies and ensure efficient activities of the team aligned to goals
• Provide mentoring to team members
• Assess and size effort associated with work backlog and participate in grooming
• Advise and inform a program of work to mature the streams processing service offering
• Collaborate with other operations team to ensure highly available service and response respective to developer support
• Interview and participate in building a team to establish a center of excellence and expertise in streams processing
• Participate in regular planning cycles to align business priorities to programs of work within your organization
• Inform recommendations, including resourcing, of strategic projects to mature and improve the service
• Lead proofs of concepts, engineering, and implementation projects
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (or TECHNICAL SKILLS/COMPETENCIES)
• Strong operational background running Kafka clusters at scale
• Knowledge of both physical/onprem systems and public cloud infrastructure
• Strong understanding of Kafka broker, connect, and topic tuning and architectures
• Strong understanding of Linux fundamentals as related to Kafka performance
• Filesystem tuning and related kernel tuning and troubleshooting
• Storage hardware and trade-offs
• Network TCP stack tuning and troubleshooting
• Background in both Systems and Software Engineering
• Competent developing software in 1 or more of high level language
• Competent with configuration management in code/IaC including Ansible and Terraform
• Competent operating Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in large scale environments - ( runtime settings, JMX, troubleshooting, garbage collection, etc… )
• Passionate about data driven operations; building and leveraging observability with tools such as Prometheus and Grafana
• Knowledge and experience of containers and Kubernetes cluster
• Hands on experience delivering complex software in an enterprise environment
• Experience working in a remote team across multiple regions and time zones
• Comfortable working with structured Change and Incident Management
YOU (BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS/COMPETENCIES)
• Autonomous and proactive.
• Passionate about the value of broad scale streams processing
• Passionate about providing greater transparency to health and status of Ticketmaster systems
• Keenly empathetic to the day to day experience of software development teams
• A transparent communicator
• Deeply concerned with the security and compliance implications of your services and solutions
• Capable of delivering and accepting empathetic, constructive criticism with reports, peers, leadership and stakeholders
• Conscious of the developers need for speed of delivery and the enterprise need for governance and cost management
Rock Solid Reliability – I earn the trust of clients, co-workers and fans; I set clear expectations; I deliver high quality work on time and on task; I take the time to do things right
Winning Teamwork – I collaborate with others; I share information openly; I listen and take time to empathise and understand where others are coming from; I show recognition and appreciation for the contributions of others
Act with Integrity – I am proud of the way I represent myself and the company to others; I act with good intentions; I have direct, honest conversations while creating a safe work environment for open dialogue; I represent information and data accurately and completely
We're fans who help fans everywhere get into the live events they love. A proud division of Live Nation Entertainment, Ticketmaster has changed the way the world connects with their favourite artists, teams, and shows, and we continue to shape innovation every day. We're not just selling tickets (though we do that better than anyone else), we're enriching lives one amazing experience at a time. And we think that's pretty amazing. If you're passionate about the magic of live entertainment like we are, and you want to work at a company dedicated to helping millions of fans experience it, we want to hear from you.
We have a 'Fan First' mindset, placing customers at the heart of everything we do. Whether working behind the scenes or engaging directly with the 'Fan' you will be part of a culture that supports and enriches the fan experience. Your work, our passion… delivering world class experiences – Fan First.
CO Hiring Range*: $143,948k - $168,000
**Please note that the compensation information provided is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. It assumes that the successful candidate will be in Colorado or perform the position from Colorado. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation. Live Nation takes into consideration a candidate's education, training, and experience, as well as the position's work location, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the CO EPEWA, a potential new employee's salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r71zep-34-237-52-11-42 in your application.
Live Nation Entertainment is the global leader in live entertainment and ticketing. Our world-class portfolio reaches all aspects of the live event and ticketing industry, from ground-breaking software in Ticketmaster, mix of legendary venues and restaurants in House of Blues, production leaders in Concerts, exceptional brand partnerships in Media & Sponsorship, and unparalleled team of artist managers in Artist Nation supported by diverse professionals in all facets of Corporate operations.