Technical Director, Interactive & Experiential
London, United Kingdom
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
The Mill Facility Systems Engineer will work in the Technology department with a variety of tools, supporting various production and post-production teams at the studio in London. They will support users, technologies and workflows geared toward advancing the post-production processes. The engineer researches and evaluates new hardware and post-production tools in order to help make recommendations to our various studio constituents. They will work with members of the Technology Development staff to help with the day-to-day support in the London studio.
• Integrate and maintain various post-production systems for colour correction, display calibration and post production VFX.
• Maintain data infrastructure (NAS, DAS, network, etc)
• Support and mentor junior members of the team, answering questions and providing solutions
• Work with manufacturers and vendors to develop solutions for our particular requirements.
• Install, deploy, troubleshoot and maintain hardware and software across all departments
• Provide technical support for users using Linux, Windows and MacOS based workstations
• Support a variety of specialist VFX applications across multiple OS hosts, this includes but not limited to Cinema 4D, Adobe Creative Cloud, Baselight, Houdini, Nuke, Maya, Arnold, Redshift and Flame
• Support and maintain render nodes and critical servers
• Manage the Ticketing System, assigning, resolving and escalating when required.
• Actively participating in and collaborating with the Global Engineers to complete larger projects within the Team and Business. Various projects involve evaluating, installing, maintenance, upgrades, development and decommissioning
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate should have a good technical understanding of:
• Video display systems (monitors, projectors, etc)
• Linux, Mac and Windows computer systems
• Shared storage systems in a high-performance computing environment
• Audio and video routing systems
• Complex wiring systems
• Using test equipment to perform tasks
• Both broad and specific knowledge of the many tools used in production and post.
• Using wiring schematics to perform tasks
• Specify requirements on equipment, cabling and supplies
Interpersonal skills and abilities:
The ideal candidate should be able to:
• Maintain a high-level of communication within the department and the rest of the company
• Work within a team to solve technical problems
• Troubleshoot alone, exhausting all logical approaches before escalating
• Maintain attention to detail