Technology Procurement Specialist
Los Angeles, CA
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill.
We create the extraordinary.
The Mill is seeking Principal Technology Engineers to join our ever-expanding group. This position is a staff role with benefits and will be based in our Los Angeles Studio. You will be working in collaboration with local and worldwide technology team leaders to maintain the facility and service all technical needs that arise while adhering to global standards and practices. The Mill has offices in New York, Chicago, London, Bangalore and Los Angeles, with a local engineering team at each location.
The Principal Technology Engineer will have the knowledge and confidence to work within the VFX industry and carry out any tasks set by their line managers. The job consists of being the support contact for any technical queries and helping any senior/managerial staff within the Technology department. Interpersonal skills are essential as you will be working closely with Artists and Producers, as well as Engineers locally and across all offices. Shift work will be required from time to time as well as working on weekends when necessary.
Depending on experience, the role could also be intimately involved with network, video and audio services within the facilities. The ideal candidate will show a willingness to turn their hand to any challenge presented to them and resource it in a timescale relevant to urgency. This will undoubtedly involve juggling tasks running in tandem and will be reporting to the local Head of Technology.
• Provide technical support for VFX Artists using Linux workstations.
• Mentor Technical Engineers to ensure their growth within the department.
• Maintain server room and colocation facility equipment along with the Technology Engineers.
• Network design, management and troubleshooting. Layer 2/3 network switches.
• Support physical security systems/applications and ensure proper functioning.
• Install, deploy, and troubleshoot VFX tools including Flame, Maya, Nuke, Baselight.
• Support and maintain infrastructure including Linux render nodes, Isilon storage,
• Linux servers and workstations, network equipment, and virtual machines.
• Take ownership of and assist the Technology team with various evaluation, installation, development and decommissioning projects.
• Manage preventative maintenance schedules.
• Knowledge of other relevant security technologies and processes, e.g. encryption and authentication methods/methodologies.
• Virtualization, Containerization, Cloud Compute, Kubernetes and knowledge thereof.
• Upgrade and configure infrastructure systems and software as needed.
• Support and mentor junior members of the team.
Required Skills and Experience:
• A knowledge of AWS/GCP concepts and workflows
• A minimum of 3 years UNIX/Linux, Mac OS X and Windows system administration experience.
• Engineering-level knowledge of standard CG, compositing and color grading applications (Maya, Houdini, Flame, Nuke and Baselight).
• Strong macOS and Windows support & configuration skills.
• Experience with scale strongly preferred (Renderfarms, Clusters, Clouds, Enterprise, etc.)
• Autonomous self-starter.
• Excellent communication, people skills, and team-working skills.
• System administration knowledge of Active Directory, DNS & DHCP.
Technicolor is home to the world's premiere portfolio of visual effects brands, services, and creative innovations. With locations that span the globe, and service offerings tailored to the specific creative and storytelling needs of each project, we power premium content. Our diverse family of VFX brands includes: MPC, The Mill, MR. X, Mikros MPC Advertising, and Technicolor VFX. Each studio has their own unique approach to help storytellers create out of this world experiences.