The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigor, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling and timing.
A Senior Lead Compositor / VFX Supervisor at The Mill will work on many high-profile projects for global advertising agencies. As a result, they will have an in-depth understanding of how to technically and creatively realize the unique look and feel of a Mill project. They will also have an invaluable understanding and knowledge of the technology, bespoke applications, workflow, methodologies and pipeline across six offices, strong relationships with their peers in those locations and a clear understanding of the high level of creative output required.
A Senior Lead Compositor / VFX Supervisor oversees a team of Compositors and Associate Compositors, and will assign and critique their team's work, but above all provide mentorship to their junior artists. They are required to be highly visually creative with an excellent knowledge of visual effects techniques and the software and hardware they operate.
A Senior Lead Compositor / VFX Supervisor is expected to supervise VFX shoots and therefore must have an advanced understanding of onset VFX supervision protocol and best practices. They must also have an advanced knowledge of onset VFX supervision techniques, such as using tracking markers and shooting lens grids and HDRIs.
Although a Senior Lead Compositor / VFX Supervisor defaults to the Creative Director when working together, they must also have the confidence and ability to manage clients, coordinating and guiding them through a group creative process, often with a great deal of diplomacy to achieve a result which is satisfactory to all. A Senior Lead Compositor / VFX Supervisor is expected to have their own client base, and are expected to build upon that base by developing and working in tandem with creative talent.
Overtime, it is expected that they become invaluable as a source of work to the Mill through the relationships that they build with their clients, often to the point where a client will only want to work with that particular artist.
The Senior Lead Compositor / VFX Supervisor is an integral member of creative leadership and the 2D department. They manage a job from start to finish, often from initial bid, to shoot, to delivery. Therefore they must be highly creative, command advanced technical abilities and must have excellent organizational and leadership skills. They must have a complete understanding of the VFX pipeline and the communication skills to manage and lead projects with other artists, and the confidence and conviction to present their team's work to directors and clients. They are expected to attend shoots and further develop strong relationships with directors and clients. They are expected to help mentor the junior members of the 2D team, and inspire them through their leadership and the quality of their own work.
• Conforming and managing large and complex projects under tight deadlines.
• Bidding projects from scripts and storyboards.
• Engaging in calls and meetings with directors, advertising agencies and brands.
• Managing dailies with their team of artists.
• Managing external and inter office workshare.
• Building on their strong client base by sourcing and developing relationships with creative talent and clients.
• Working closely with the joint Heads of 2D to research, develop and implement new technology and creative ideas.
• Compositing Live action plates, CG renders and a combination of both.
• Working collaboratively with other members of the Compositing team and other VFX departments and locations.
• Extracting mattes from blue/green screen photography using Keylight, Primatte or IBK.
• Advanced 2D and 3D camera tracking.
• Advanced photoreal CG integration into live action plates.
• Advanced set extensions.
• Complex matte painting projections utilizing 3D cameras and geometry.
• Advanced beauty work.
• Advanced car augmentation.
• Advanced photoreal full CG compositing.
• Paint and rotoscoping.
• Mentoring junior artists.
• Advanced Experience in Compositing with Nuke for complex VFX projects
• Advanced understanding of the VFX process, and ability to bid work accurately
• Highly innate understanding of client needs
• Advanced understanding of onset VFX supervision protocol and best practices
• Excellent Leadership and management skills
• Excellent people and communication skills
• A strong creative eye and artistic skills
• Sound aesthetic with good understanding of color, light and photography
• Strong problem-solving skills
• A team player with a great attitude
• Dependable and flexible
• Takes feedback and direction well
• Exercises close attention to detail
• Ability to work under tight deadlines
• Advanced technical knowledge of Nuke
• Advanced technical knowledge of Flame or timeline based software
• Advanced knowledge of onset VFX supervision techniques
• Advanced knowledge of CG rendering and compositing multi-channel EXRs
• Advanced understanding of 2D and 3D tracking
• Highly proficient in using IBK, Primatte or Keylight
• Excellent knowledge of Nuke's 3D system
• Advanced understanding of colorspace pipelines
• Advanced knowledge of cameras, film resolutions, aspect ratios and lenses
• Completed a degree in VFX or equivalent professional experience
• Minimum 7+ years experience working in the VFX Industry
• Minimum 5+ years experience in leading client facing jobs
• Extensive experience in VFX Supervising complex shoots
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxn51o-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.