The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
The Mill's flagship studio, Mill London, opened its doors in 1990. Located in London's Fitzrovia, the studio is home to over 300 creators working across Mill VFX, Mill Direction and Mill Experience projects. The Mill's London home overlooks the iconic BT tower, and is surrounded by some of the best eateries in town. The London creative community often gathers on The Mill's rooftop bar and terrace, which plays host to a number of industry and staff events.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
We are looking for a talented Senior FX Artist with expert level Houdini problem solving skills to join our team to develop and produce high quality FX work that meets the challenges of productions deadlines.
• The ideal candidate should be able to problem solve and work within a given framework, while creating efficient technical workflow and troubleshoot solutions that meet the guidelines of a given production.
• Most importantly, one should engage as an enthusiastic team player and follow creative direction to assure all FX efforts achieve their visual target.
• Work closely with Lighting Artist and Compositors to ensure all effects will work smoothly within the show pipeline.
• Expert level proficiency with Houdini.
• Proficiency with Nuke.
• Advanced understanding of mathematical and physical concepts related to Computer Graphics.
• A strong aesthetic eye for effects performance as it relates to storytelling.
• A solid work ethic and a positive mindset.
• Production experience in any 5 or all the following:
1. Rigid body and Particle dynamics
2. Volume modeling, animation and rendering.
3. Procedural geometry/Environment generation
4. Fluid dynamics
5. Cloth/vellum simulation
6. Crowd/murmuration/flocking simulation
7. Fur/hair grooming and simulation.
• Work autonomously to create realistic, directable simulations of any real-world phenomena and subjective (''magical'') effects based on reference and brief. Interpret and transform abstract ideas into compelling effects.
• Multitask and work productively in a high-pressure environment.
• Troubleshoot and solve problems proactively and resourcefully.
• Take direction from the VFX Supervisor, Producer and FX Lead well and implement feedback with a positive attitude.
• Use VEX and/or Python with high proficiency to script custom tools and workflows.
• Create well-organized tools, scripts, and set-ups to facilitate efficient or automated workflows that can be used by other members of the crew.
Any of the following is a bonus:
• Basic / Intermediate proficiency in maya to publish and create custom assets needed for simulation.
• Ambitious desire for self-growth, ownership, and collaboration.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk5np4-3-237-29-69-42 in your application.