The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigor, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling andtiming.
A Lead Compositor at The Mill will work on many high-profile projects for global advertising agencies. As a result, they will have an in-depth understanding of how to technically and creatively realize the unique look and feel of a Mill project. They will also have an invaluable understanding and knowledge of the technology, bespoke applications, workflow, methodologies and pipeline across six offices, strong relationships with their peers in those locations and a clear understanding of the high level of creative output required.
A Lead Compositor oversees a team of Compositors and Associate Compositors, and will assign and critique their team's work, but above all provide mentorship to their junior artists. They require similar attributes to that of a VFX Supervisor, which is to be highly visually creative with an excellent knowledge of visual effects techniques and the software and hardware they operate.
Although a Lead Compositor defaults to the Creative Director and VFX Supervisor when working together, a Lead Compositor must also have the confidence and ability to manage clients, coordinating and guiding them through a group creative process, often with a great deal of diplomacy to achieve a result which is satisfactory to all. They are initially not expected to have their own client base, they are expected to build one by developing and working in tandem with young creative talent.
Overtime, they will become invaluable as a source of work to the Mill through the relationships that they build with their clients, often to the point where a client will only want to work with that particular artist.
The Lead Compositor is an integral member of the 2Ddepartment. They manage a job from start to finish, and therefore must have excellent organizational and leadership skills. They must have a complete understanding of the VFX pipeline and the communication skills to manage and lead projects with other artists, and the confidence and conviction to present their team's work to clients. They are expected to help mentor the junior members of the 2D team, and inspire them through the quality of their own work. The Lead Compositor will require the same creative and technical attributes as a VFX Supervisor and responsibilities will include:
• Conforming and managing large and complex projects under tight deadlines.
• Bidding projects from scripts and storyboards.
• Engaging in calls and meetings with directors, advertising agencies and brands.
• Managing dailies with their team of artists.
• Managing external and inter office workshare.
• Building a strong client base by sourcing and developing relationships with young creative talent and clients.
• Working closely with the joint Heads of 2D and fellow Lead Compositors to research, develop and implement new technology and creative ideas.
• Compositing Live action plates, CG renders and a combination of both.
• Working collaboratively with other members of the Compositing team and other VFX departments and locations.
• Extracting mattes from blue/green screen photography using Keylight, Primatte or IBK.
• Advanced 2D and 3D camera tracking, photoreal CG integration into live action plates, and set extensions.
• Complex matte painting projections utilizing 3D cameras and geometry.
• Advanced beauty work, car augmentation, and photoreal full CG compositing.
• Paint and rotoscoping.
• Mentoring junior artists.
• Advanced experience in Compositing with Nuke for complex VFX projects.
• Strong understanding of the VFX process, and ability to bid work accurately.
• Strong leadership skills.
• Excellent people and communication skills
• A strong creative eye and artistic skills.
• Sound aesthetic with good understanding of color, light and photography.
• Strong problem-solving skills.
• A team player with a great attitude
• Dependable and flexible.
• Takes feedback and direction well.
• Exercises close attention to detail.
• Ability to work under tight deadlines.
• Advanced technical knowledge of Nuke.
• Strong technical knowledge of Flame or timeline based software.
• Basic knowledge of onset VFX supervision techniques.
• Advanced knowledge of CG rendering and compositing multi-channel EXRs.
• Advanced understanding of 2D and 3D tracking.
• Highly proficient in using IBK, Primatte or Keylight.
• Excellent knowledge of Nuke's 3D system.
• Advanced understanding of colorspace pipelines.
• Solid knowledge of cameras, film resolutions, aspect ratios and lenses.
• Knowledge of other VFX software such as Maya or Mochais an advantage.
• Completed a degree in VFX or equivalent professional experience.
• Experience working in the VFX Industry and in leading client facing jobs.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj8q3b-3-235-120-150-42 in your application.