The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
The Head of Operations (HoO) is a Senior Management position. The HoO will work with the HoP to manage best operational practices at The Mill LA. The candidate must have an aptitude for commercial awareness and industry management experience. He/She must also be an excellent communicator, collaborator and display a high level of attention to detail and diligence in their output.
He/she will also be responsible for making sure that the Studio performs as efficiently as possible, implementing tools and systems that allow the team optimum performance. Developing tools from existing software and implementing new systems with other departments when necessary to address problems and solve them when they occur. This will include project/infrastructure management, training, weekly WIP Reporting & Status meeting, Production interface, Operational advice and team mentoring. They must also liaise and foster relationships internally across The Mill Group, speaking regularly to HoOs in all offices and working closely with Beam.
The HoO has a strong relationship with the finance and management of projects as they go through The Mill with a remit to track and monitor discounts both for The Mill and for Beam. Also to flag any projects which are a concern to the senior management team.
The HoO must work directly with Trace and interoffice Workshare for best efficiencies of pipeline, job targets and deliveries.
The HoO must be the liaison with TC and clients to coordinate that security measures are met for project happening in the studio/remotely.
The HoO also works closely with Engineering, Client Services, Talent, and MCR ensuring the smooth running of the building, helping to solve problems as they occur, as well as Creative HoDs via CRM Team to ensure talent is well utilized and developed.
The HoO will work closely with the senior management team in Beam to ensure discounts are protected and that clients and producers are happy with the Beam service.
The Head of Operations is a strong leader who can motivate individuals to perform to their best. Excellent communication skills and an ability to mentor and spot problems before they arise are crucial. The HoO will work closely with Engineering/Mill+/2D/CG/MCR/Finance/Marketing/Beam to ensure effective interaction with the Production & CRM teams.
• As part of LA Senior Management team, delivering insight and guidance on all operational aspects of the business
• Lead and mentor the growing Operations function within the Los Angeles business
• Partner with creative HoDs to deliver production support, coordination of artists and strategic decision making
• Weekly report for status meeting containing all overrunning projects, suite utilization and relevant Operational metrics
• Ongoing project tracking and monitoring for best optimization
• Timely flagging of overrunning projects and action plan to solve with HoP
• Ongoing Liaison with MCR/ Beam/ Finance/ Client Services
• Tracking Engineering performance and progress
• Policing and enforcement of best Operation practices
• Weekly Operations meeting
• Weekly Status meeting
• Contribution to ongoing Recruitment
• Oversee CETA development for Production
• Oversee Loop & tool development and implementation
• Review of all bids before going to client
• Responsible for freelance artist rate approvals
• Review of overtime spend and discussion with HoP and EP for resolution
• Responsible for approving all 3rd party/outsource costs
• Key Performance Indicators:
• Efficiencies in Operational effectiveness (including workshare & outsourcing)
• Delivery of projects within budget and to the highest creative potential
• Increase in year on year EBITDA due to improved Operational Management
• Timely flagging of problematic projects
• Development of production tools within CETA and Loop
• Tech Liaison – regular meetings with Beam/Creative Teams/MCR/Engineering
• Monitoring & Management of Freelance, Trace and outsource costs
• Support HR and HoDS of talent management tools and initiatives
• Implementation of suitable departmental structures across all creative and operational departments
• Maintaining recruitment within budgeted levels
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqm516-3-234-211-61-42 in your application.