Head Of Operations
Los Angeles, CA
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigor, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling and timing.
The Matte Painter will produce beautiful photo-real or stylized matte painted environments by painting elements, working with live action footage, photography, and rendered CG elements. They are in charge of painting photo-realistic or Stylized painted backgrounds, set extensions/fixes, and 2.5D/3D projections. They will collaborate closely with our DMP Supervisor/CG Leads/Directors to achieve the desired look and feel for matte paintings on our projects.
• Create photorealistic or stylized backgrounds and environments to match the overall look and feel of the project
• Combine skills in painting and 3D with knowledge of composition, design, photography, and digital modeling to create two-dimensional and three-dimensional images with or without the use of conceptual mock-ups
• Working with VFX Sups/Directors to create quick post viz mock ups / concepts that enable creative direction.
• Provides foreground, mid-ground, and background paintings for use in 2D, 2.5D and 3D environments
• Assists with troubleshooting the background components created
• Contribute to the visual and technical attributes of the project
• Create elements in a variety of styles
• 2.5D / 3D projecting experience in Nuke and or Maya
• Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
• Strong knowledge of photography
• Demonstrable skills in Concept design desirable but not essential
• Skilled in painting photo-real images using photo reference to create the highest quality digital set extensions, skies, elements, and environments
• Strong traditional art skills including knowledge of colour, lighting, perspective, and composition
• Strong artistic flexibility, versatility, ability to match and/or adapt painting style to suit a range of production designs
• Advanced 2D skills in Photoshop and/or Nuke with 3D experience, preferably in Maya or Houdini a plus
• Ability to complete work within the strict timeframe, while maintaining constant communication with production team, supervisors, leads and other artists
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7knjq-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.