Compositor (Mid) - Expression of Interest
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigor, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling and timing.
The Compositor is an exciting role that demands strong technical abilities and creativity. They will work directly under a Lead Compositor to create high-end visual effects using both 2D and 3D techniques. A Lead Compositor will assign and critique their work, and above all provide a mentorship to the Compositor on a job-by-job basis. A Compositor needs to be highly efficient and organized in their technical and software abilities, while also being highly artistic and an excellent creative problem solver. They should be comfortable working with clients, have a keen eye for detail, excellent communication skills and technical knowledge and also have relevant experience in a commercial, film or TV environment.
The Compositor is a highly valued member of the compositing team, and is the main support of a Lead Compositor. They are often given the complex and demanding shots to complete, and are expected to occasionally manage individual and multiple shots as if it was a whole commercial. Therefore they must have a complete understanding of the VFX pipeline and the communication skills to manage shots with other artists, while also occasionally presenting their work to clients. They are expected to help mentor the junior members of the 2D team, and inspire them through the quality of their own work.
Some of their responsibilities will include:
• Compositing live action plates, CG renders and a combination of both.
• Working collaboratively with other members of the Compositing team and other VFX departments and locations.
• Extracting mattes from blue/green screen photography using Keylight, Primatte or IBK • Complex 2D and 3D camera tracking
• Complex photoreal CG integration into live action plates
• Complex set extensions
• Complex matte painting projections utilizing 3D cameras and geometry
• Complex beauty work
• Complex car augmentation
• Complex photoreal full CG compositing
• Paint and rotoscoping
• Advanced Experience in Compositing with Nuke for advanced VFX projects
• Excellent people skills
• A strong creative eye
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Is a team player with a great attitude
• Dependable and flexible
• Takes direction well and exercises close attention to detail
• Strong knowledge of CG rendering and compositing multi-channel EXRs
• Excellent understanding of roto techniques and best practices
• Excellent understanding of 2D and 3D tracking
• Highly proficient in using IBK, Primatte or Keylight
• Excellent knowledge of Nuke's 3D system
• Knowledge of other VFX software such as Maya or Mocha is an advantage.
• Strong understanding of colorspace pipelines
• Basic knowledge of Flame or Nuke studio is an advantage
• Completed a degree in VFX or equivalent professional experience
• Experience working in the VFX Industry
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn4531-18-232-179-5-42 in your application.