London, United Kingdom
VFX (CG) Supervisor
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
Our global Visual Effects team combines talent with technology, artistry with rigour, the familiar with the fantastic. Our work can be inspiring or invisible, but always unforgettable. From the language of colour to the hand drawn and photo-real, we bring ideas to life through the use of movement, storytelling and timing.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
What you'll do:
VFX Supervisor will work with the Heads of 3D to implement and manage the long term technical and strategic development of the 3D Department and lay down the working methods and systems for future 3D Artists.
VFX Supervisors lead designated highly complex projects and are responsible for planning each project's work-flow, working with the Director and Creatives to define the desired look and feel and then supervise teams of 3D Artists to successfully deliver the project.
Internally the VFX supervisor is responsible for managing the team of artists on a project both locally and in other studios. This includes daily liaison with other senior artists across the group.
The VFX Supervisors are responsible for the research and implementation of new technology and creative ideas. They are also responsible for training and mentoring new artists and developing the careers of the junior artists to ensure the creative output of the whole department is to a standard befitting our worldwide reputation. In conjunction with the Heads of 3D they assist with the recruitment of all 3D Artists and always represent The Mill in a professional way both internally and externally at events or conferences.
• Lead and manage high profile and complex visual effects projects to deliver to creative expectations, deadline and budget.
• Manage local & remote teams of VFX artists.
• Manage large and complex workloads to deliver on time, even with tight deadlines.
• Demonstrate strong leadership, mentoring, and proactive problem-solving skills.
• Manage expectations on progress throughout tasks and projects.
• Work in coordination with both 3D and 2D VFX artists to ensure Mill standards are maintained at all times.
• Build strong personal client relationships with both creative talent and directors.
• Attend pre-production meetings as required.
• Lead meetings with clients providing detailed knowledge of complex effects creation.
• Attend shoots to advise Directors and Producers upon the most effective ways to shoot for high-end VFX.
• Determine production requirements and advise on best practices, available processes and budgets for all types of VFX projects.
• Work closely with scheduling to make sure artists are well-integrated into jobs, including jobs they are not responsible for.
• Work closely with the Heads of 3D and Senior Artists to research, develop and implement new technology and creative ideas.
• Coordinate jobs efficiently across all sites.
• Stay current with developments and technology in the industry.
• Manage and mentor the 3D Artists on complex VFX projects, and co-ordinate their VFX output and ensure high levels of quality control.
• Help progress artists into lead roles by overseeing them with the intention of giving them more responsibilities on a job and give them the opportunity to quote jobs, attend meetings and shoots.
• Advise Artists across the department on their technique and provide feedback on work-in-progress.
• Deliver talks and presentations at industry events.
• Actively seek out new talent and help Heads of 3D with recruiting new talent keeping an eye on possible gaps in the 3D structure.
What you'll need:
• Highly developed knowledge of the visual effects and associated pipelines.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Exceptional problem-solving skills.
• At least 5 years' experience as a Lead CG Artist.
• Proven experience of managing teams of CG Artists.
• Ability to build successful relationships with clients and develop a client base; especially with Directors and Creatives.
Technicolor is home to the world's premiere portfolio of visual effects brands, services, and creative innovations. With locations that span the globe, and service offerings tailored to the specific creative and storytelling needs of each project, we power premium content. Our diverse family of VFX brands includes: MPC, The Mill, MR. X, Mikros MPC Advertising, and Technicolor VFX. Each studio has their own unique approach to help storytellers create out of this world experiences.