Content Rights & Clearance Specialist
Los Angeles, CA
Technicolor Production Services is the division with Technicolor which contain Technicolor's world leading Visual effects and Animation brands such as MPC, Mr X, The Mill, and Mikros.
Technicolor's brands have worked on the spectacular scenes and tiny details that make movies, advertising campaigns and Animation movies truly mind-blowing. We're the people behind the effects in countless blockbuster films like The Lion King, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run and advertising campaigns for clients such as Samsung, Audi, Nike and Apple.
We are constantly looking for the best talent in the world, enthusiastic people that come in everyday to be a part of some of the best work in the industry.
This position within the company is for an attorney who will be responsible for supporting the daily legal needs of the advertising business units within Technicolor Production Services – primarily The Mill and MPC's studios in Los Angeles, New York and Chicago. This position will report to the VP Business Affairs & General Counsel – Production Services and works along-side two lawyers based in the UK. This role has a strong and direct interface with senior management of the advertising business units, outside counsel, suppliers and customers.
Live-action and Post Production
Working closely with our studios to draft and negotiate a range of contracts to secure strong commercial terms. This will involve responsibility and advice on IP, clearance, compliance and copyright matters to ensure all content is cleared for release into the public domain including:
• Live-action production services agreements with brands and agencies for shoots;
• Talent, location, music, director, agreements; and
• Post-production/visual effects services agreement with agencies and brands
Creative technology and experiential
• Working closely with emerging technology teams within our studios to negotiate and draft a range of contracts including development agreements and statements of work for app, website and virtual/ augmented reality and experiential for both agencies, but more commonly, direct to brands; and
• Responsible for guiding and supporting the business teams throughout the process from pre-production/concept stages to release to the public – this will involve advising on risks associated with use of third party and open source software; software and maintenance considerations; strong understanding of IP and ownership of source code and proprietary assets; plus, responsibility for copyright clearance matters.
IP and commercial
• Working closely with our studios to ensure strong licensing terms of proprietary content developed in-house, namely original character designs and unique visual effects environments; and occasionally proprietary software and technology; and
• Working closely with our studios on creative and strategic partnership relationships with brands; and
• Ad hoc advising on litigation matters, including third-party claims, debt recovery, and managing of external lawyers.
• Responsibility for ensuring precedent agreements and guidance notes are up-to-date, together with rest of Advertising legal team;
• Training and providing seminars to our studio teams on key issues to look out for in their creation of content, whether in a broadcasting or tech platform; and
• Acting as a trusted advisor to the business for both legal and business issues that arise in the course of providing creative and tech services to our clients.
• Working with and supported by business affairs team to provide legal and business affairs support to US studios.
Essential Job Requirements:
• JD from a recognized law school and admission to the California bar.
• 6+ years' experience with a focus on negotiating and drafting commercial transactions in the media, advertising, entertainment or technology industries
• Understanding and experience of game design/development, AR/VR and/or multimedia installations a plus.
• The preferred candidate will have spent time in both a law firm setting and an in-house setting.
• Advertising/marketing legal clearance experience – gained in an advertising agency or brand.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with internal business and technical teams and external contacts at all levels.
• Strong problem-solving and project management skills.
• Background and experience that will provide the ability to ''hit the ground running''.
• Client and service focus with the ability to work in a fast-moving, demanding environment.
• Excellent legal, written and verbal communication, analytical, judgment, organizational, and negotiation skills.
• Ability to successfully manage competing priorities and work independently on a wide range of tasks.
• Excellent judgment and strategic thinking on structuring transactions, solving complex problems, and developing solutions.
• High level of integrity, professionalism, and trust, including in dealing with complex and sensitive matters.
• Ability to meet or exceed deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, and maintain flexibility in fast-paced, changing environment.
• Ability to positively influence the behavior of multiple stakeholders.
The above are minimum requirements. Resumes from more experienced candidates are welcome.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnkb7o-3-236-231-61-42 in your application.