Senior Software Developer
Moving Picture Company
Remote / Virtual
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences.
We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
Mill Experience is a strategic studio within The Mill creating mixed reality, virtual events, experiential activations and interactive products for brands and agencies.
The globe-spanning team of forward-thinking technologists and creatives works on innovation consultancy, project management, design, and execution to dream and build concepts beamed from the future.
From augmented reality to artificial intelligence, we use our unrivalled expertise to craft memorable visual experiences to engage and captivate audiences.
What you'll do:
In this role, the Resource Manager is responsible for resourcing talent for Mill Experience across five global Studios. The Resource Manager partners with department leads and Mill Experience production team to assign sufficient and suitable resources to projects, balance workloads, source for freelancers and resolve resource conflicts across a large group of creatives, technologists, studio resources, and production staff. You are uniquely responsible for Creative Technology department staff and will work with Resource Managers across all other departments – Design, CG, 2D, etc... - to additionally fulfil team requirements on projects.
You will be required to have in-depth knowledge of the range of talent capabilities and the tracking of projects from quoted to scheduled. The role requires an application to an Operations career path, in order to develop a keen understanding of talent skill-sets and career expectations to support Operations Managers and Heads of Department to deliver and maximize the potential and creative output of the departments.
You must be extremely comfortable managing between 20-50 resources simultaneously across multiple concurrent projects and time zones. You must be able to pivot, switch focus and remain motivated in a fast-paced environment. This is a team that is passionate about the constant evolution of its solutions, products and talent. We are seeking a curious, flexible, personable and driven team member who loves people, process and a good challenge.
• Maintenance of production management tools and ensuring accuracy of bookings.
• Provide support and training to scheduling team in areas of talent utilization.
• Provide detailed understanding of artist/developer skillsets to advise best team allocation for Production.
• Provide feedback on best practice to managers and Head(s) of Department.
• Host weekly check-ins with key stakeholders to ensure efficient assignment of all projects, identify excessive or under-utilisation of talent, and solve any potential resource gaps.
• Join weekly cross-department/business line resource meetings reviewing and presenting slate of incoming work
• Responsible for suitable and accurate artist resourcing of projects.
• Work closely with all studios to ensure that Mill Experience creative resources are acting as a single cohesive unit.
• Assess incoming jobs for potential workshare and outsourcing needs and work with other Mill offices to coordinate workshare planning.
• Identifying artist/developer shortages on projects.
• Prompt and accurate delivery of information both upwardly to managers and to peers.
• Forge and maintain close relationships with staff, freelancers and third-party vendors.
• Pro-active liaison with Engineering department to ensure technology and resources are being used to their full potential.
• Shape resource management tools, systems and templates- constantly striving to improve processes and workflow standardisation.
• Knowledge of P&Ls across Studios and understanding of how your actions directly correlate to success.
• Accurate scheduling to ensure quoted vs delivery is on budget.
• Ability to hire freelancers and negotiate rates.
• Pro-active liaison with HR on talent recruitment, freelance payroll, etc.
• Ensure the successful on-boarding/off-boarding of all employees (FTE, vendors and freelancers)
• Run and help co-ordinate outsourcing of work.
• Impartial perspective for artists/developers in the Mill Experience team when it comes to scheduling to aid career progression.
• Mediate resource sharing issues with functional leads.
• Ensure the accurate reporting of freelance numbers to Operations Managers and Commercial Manager.
• Management of Holidays/DOILS usage and allocation.
• Recruit the right talent for Mill Experience team. Facilitate the progress by selecting, planning, and interviewing, as well as tracking progress globally.
• Review candidate portfolios with a view to skillset match for open roles, and work with Ops and staffing vendors to onboard successfully.
What you'll need:
• 1-3 years' experience of relevant work experience and solid knowledge of interactive development processes in resource planning, allocation and assigning within digital-first, interactive and/or game companies.
• Basic understanding of finance and business P&Ls.
• Curious, flexible problem-solver.
• Extraordinary communication skills, organisational skills, and people management skills. Fair, kind, collaborative and a trusted confident of confidential and sensitive information.
• Design and/or VFX experience is a plus.
Technicolor is home to the world's premiere portfolio of visual effects brands, services, and creative innovations. With locations that span the globe, and service offerings tailored to the specific creative and storytelling needs of each project, we power premium content. Our diverse family of VFX brands includes: MPC, The Mill, MR. X, Mikros MPC Advertising, and Technicolor VFX. Each studio has their own unique approach to help storytellers create out of this world experiences.