Senior Associate, Comedy
Santa Monica, CA
Summary of Position
The SVP, Original Programming is responsible for creative development of STARZ original programming. The SVP brings in new projects that align to the STARZ brand and oversees their assigned shows through all phases from inception to production of ongoing seasons of content.
• Develop and oversee slate of original programming that aligns to the creative vision for the group, ensuring alignment with Starz' global vision and strategy
• Development and maintain industry relationships
• Foster relationships with high level agents, producers and talent
• Bring in potential projects for development or acquisitions through pitches or submissions from outside companies
• Work with the Original Programming team in analyzing pitches and submissions to determine which projects are appropriate and financed for development
• Guide show creators through script draft and production process. Duties include, but are not limited to, reading all submitted drafts of scripts and compiling notes, monitoring dailies, reviewing cuts, and generating editorial notes
• Support Senior Executives with departmental duties as needed
• Collaborates cross-functionally with Production, Post-Production, Business & Legal Affairs and Marketing to see projects through to completion
• Work with production to select above-the-line positions for productions
• Work with production team to manage budgets, schedules, and logistics on more complex or strategically significant productions
• Monitor production budgets and schedules
• Partner with Post-Production in the editing and delivery of final product
• Represent Starz in final talent and casting approvals; act as liaison between network clients, production, and distribution
• Establish new processes, procedures, and methods that improve production outcomes
• Work with sales to maximize revenue potential of programs
• Communicate with senior executives regarding strategy, timelines, and direction of the production
• Lead and mentor direct report(s) and junior members of team
• Additional duties and projects as assigned
Qualifications & Skills
• 7+ years of progressive experience working in scripted development at a network, studio, or OTT-provider
• Demonstrated ability to generate new ideas and translate them into high-quality TV programs
• Ability to work in a fast-paced and time-sensitive environment
• Ability to interact and communicate with filmmakers, talent, network executives, etc.
• Capability to employ existing relationships, experience, and credibility with entertainment industry
• Strong capability to multi-task and prioritize multiple demands.
• Strong ability to create and deliver presentations that effectively communicate solutions and proposals to internal and external clients.
• Ability to write clear and concise creative notes and project plans
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents
• Strong time management and creative resource management capabilities
• Strong ability to prioritize key initiatives, develop business cases for budgets and resource investments.
• Must be able to travel both domestically and internally
Nice to Haves
• Bachelor's degree (minimum) required in English, Literature, Communication Arts, Theater, Creative Writing, Film/TV/etc. studies, Film/TV/etc.
About the Company
Business Unit Overview
With the Company aligning its studio operations behind the growth of its streaming business, Starz has become one of the pre-eminent modern premium global streaming platforms. Offering subscribers more than 7.500 television episodes, including Starz original series and provocative documentaries, along with a broad catalogue of first-run movies, Starz is taking the lead in delivering relatable premium content that makes it the platform of choice among a wide spectrum of female, African-American and other historically underserved audiences. Its focused brand, premium content and freedom from legacy relationships position Starz at the forefront of the new bundles emerging throughout the media ecosystem, a compelling value proposition to complement virtually every kind of subscription platform.
Distinguished by its successful and focused content strategy, top programming, exceptional curation and speed to market, Starz has quickly scaled its platform to become one of the most widely distributed and fastest-growing OTT services in the world, with OTT subscribers making up more than half of its global subscriber base. The Starzplay International premium subscription service offers a ''best of global SVOD'' content portfolio in more than 50 countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Canada, Japan and India through a bespoke and expanding network of distribution partners. The Starzplay Arabia joint venture is one of the leading SVOD operators in the fast-growing Middle East and North Africa region. The proprietary and highly-rated Starz app, a proven hit with US audiences, continues to roll out internationally.
• Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
• Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
• 401(k) company matching
• Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
Nearest Major Market: Los Angeles
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d5k6o7-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.
Combining the STARZ premium global subscription platform with world-class motion picture and television studio operations, Lionsgate brings a unique and varied portfolio of entertainment to consumers around the world. Its film, television, subscription and location-based entertainment businesses are backed by a 17,000-title library and the largest collection of film and television franchises in the independent media space.