Summary of Position
The STARZ Data Products & Engineering team is seeking a Principal Software Engineer who can provide technical direction for the consolidation and modernization of our data systems in AWS. The ideal candidate provides thought leadership to drive innovative, repeatable, scalable and high-performing solutions. This role requires an individual who works well in a highly collaborative environment with fluid requirements, and enjoys building diverse and large-scale data pipelines to transform data into usable formats. This includes leveraging both a data lake and data warehouse. This position is responsible for architecting, modeling, developing, implementing, maintaining, and troubleshooting the cloud data warehouse and data infrastructure strategy. This position serves as liaison and advisor to team members and business partners during new project initiatives, helping to mitigate risk, and acting as Subject Matter Expert for process and data changes.
• Design, develop, and implement the cloud warehouse pipeline for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using a broad array of AWS technologies
• Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional business requirements and maximize the strategic value of the data
• Collaborate with business users to understand their analytic objectives and business needs, and translate the objectives into technical specifications and data warehouse solutions
• Analyze data from multiple data sources and develop processes to integrate the data into a single but consistent view
• Discover, recommend and implement ways to improve/ensure data reliability, efficiency, and quality
• Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
• Lead and perform technical work activities including logical and physical data modeling, data flows, code development, stored procedures, performance monitoring and tuning, problem support, and technical troubleshooting
• Coordinate the efforts of many technical resources to ensure the solution is implemented timely and precisely
• Provide technical guidance and mentorship to other engineers on the team
• Expert level in one or more high level programming languages (Java, C#, Python, etc)
• Expert level SQL and JSON handling. Experience working with binary columnar data formats, e.g. Parquet
• Orchestration: AWS EC2/ECS/Lambda/Step Functions/EKS/EMR, Kubernetes, docker, CloudFormation, CDK
• Database systems: Snowflake, DynamoDB, BigQuery, SQL Server
• Data Processing: Spark, Spark Streaming, Kinesis, Airflow
• Applicable AWS certification such as Big Data Specialty, Architect, or Developer preferred
• Expertise in Data Lakes and Data Warehouses required. Lakehouse architectures a big plus
• Experience in large scale data processing with Spark, EMR or Glue
• Experience automating 3rd party CLI tools, shell scripting, and integrating with APIs for data acquisition
• Expertise with strong software development practices including CI/CD, automated testing, source control, code reviews
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field is preferred
• 10 or more years' experience in the area of Software Development and Architecture, Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing
• Demonstrated understanding of concepts, best practices and functions of a data warehouse in the corporate environment, including data discovery, data cleansing, dimensional modeling/data warehousing and relational databases
• Strong communication and team building skills
About the Company
Business Unit Overview
With the Company aligning its studio operations behind the growth of its streaming business, Starz has become one of the pre-eminent modern premium global streaming platforms. Offering subscribers more than 7.500 television episodes, including Starz original series and provocative documentaries, along with a broad catalogue of first-run movies, Starz is taking the lead in delivering relatable premium content that makes it the platform of choice among a wide spectrum of female, African-American and other historically underserved audiences. Its focused brand, premium content and freedom from legacy relationships position Starz at the forefront of the new bundles emerging throughout the media ecosystem, a compelling value proposition to complement virtually every kind of subscription platform.
Distinguished by its successful and focused content strategy, top programming, exceptional curation and speed to market, Starz has quickly scaled its platform to become one of the most widely distributed and fastest-growing OTT services in the world, with OTT subscribers making up more than half of its global subscriber base. The Starzplay International premium subscription service offers a ''best of global SVOD'' content portfolio in more than 50 countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Canada, Japan and India through a bespoke and expanding network of distribution partners. The Starzplay Arabia joint venture is one of the leading SVOD operators in the fast-growing Middle East and North Africa region. The proprietary and highly-rated Starz app, a proven hit with US audiences, continues to roll out internationally.
• Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
• Annual discretionary bonus and merit increase
• Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
• 401(k) company matching
• Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
$142,400 – $186,100
Nearest Major Market: Denver
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-dykxpq-35-172-136-29-42 in your application.