Summary of Position
Starz is seeking a Data Scientist to support data-driven decision-making. He or she will have responsibility for analysis of consumer, content, and product data, including the development of ''data products'' such as predictive models and segmentations. The ideal candidate is comfortable working with both large (e.g., event-level data warehouse tables) and small (e.g., marketing, research) data sets. He or she will have experience with a variety of data wrangling tools, modeling paradigms, optimization algorithms, and simulation methodologies. The Data Scientist understands how to use data science to support practical and actionable business insights.
• Lead efforts to develop advanced predictive models to reduce marketing costs, increase customer LTV, understand content value, and optimize content investment decisions
• Assess new data sources and data import processes for efficiency and accuracy
• Evaluate accuracy and precision of predictive models and optimization algorithms provided by other analysts or third-parties
• Develop A/B testing and experimental design (e.g., fractional factorial) paradigms for optimizing marketing effectiveness, content engagement, and product experience
• Develop processes for monitoring model performance and data accuracy
• Establish departmental standards for data quality and KPI monitoring including sampling procedures and control charting (e.g., CUSUM or EWMA charts)
Qualifications & Skills
• Exceptional knowledge of machine learning algorithms and tools (e.g., clustering, random forest, neural nets, boosting)
• Familiarity with star schema databases and SQL
• Solid foundation in statistics including probability density functions, regression, and Null Hypothesis Significance Testing
• Proficient in (at least some of) Python, Snowflake, AWS/S3, SageMaker, R, Tableau, Alteryx, Microsoft Office
• Experience working with commonly-used third-party data such as Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Qualtrics, etc.
• Previous experience with media/entertainment and/or subscription businesses preferred but not required
• Minimum of 5 years professional experience plus an advanced degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or similar
About the Company
Business Unit Overview
With the Company aligning its studio operations behind the growth of its streaming business, Starz has become one of the pre-eminent modern premium global streaming platforms. Offering subscribers more than 7.500 television episodes, including Starz original series and provocative documentaries, along with a broad catalogue of first-run movies, Starz is taking the lead in delivering relatable premium content that makes it the platform of choice among a wide spectrum of female, African-American and other historically underserved audiences. Its focused brand, premium content and freedom from legacy relationships position Starz at the forefront of the new bundles emerging throughout the media ecosystem, a compelling value proposition to complement virtually every kind of subscription platform.
Distinguished by its successful and focused content strategy, top programming, exceptional curation and speed to market, Starz has quickly scaled its platform to become one of the most widely distributed and fastest-growing OTT services in the world, with OTT subscribers making up more than half of its global subscriber base. The Starzplay International premium subscription service offers a ''best of global SVOD'' content portfolio in more than 50 countries throughout Europe, Latin America, Canada, Japan and India through a bespoke and expanding network of distribution partners. The Starzplay Arabia joint venture is one of the leading SVOD operators in the fast-growing Middle East and North Africa region. The proprietary and highly-rated Starz app, a proven hit with US audiences, continues to roll out internationally.
• Full Coverage – Medical, Vision, and Dental
• Work/Life Balance – generous sick days, vacation days, holidays, and Impact Day
• 401(k) company matching
• Tuition Reimbursement (up to graduate degree)
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbno9y-3-236-84-188-42 in your application.