Director, Litigation and Employment
New York, NY
The Senior Director, Business and Legal Affairs is responsible for the review, negotiation and drafting of contracts for artists and all artist related matters, new labels, joint ventures, production deals, consulting deals, and new media agreements.
• Structure proposals and negotiate and draft a variety of music and entertainment-related agreements, including recording, label, licensing, producer/mixer, soundtrack, termination/release, and merchandising. Draft related approval memos and contract summaries.
• Research and advise A&R, marketing, creative services, sales, promotion, royalties, finance, international and other departments regarding contractual obligations and restrictions.
• Work with A&R administration regarding contractual budgets, monitoring recording costs and approving payments.
• Review artwork, label copy, videos, advertising and other marketing and promotional materials.
• Identify and analyze potential risks related to the label's distribution of content and other business activities.
• Investigate, analyze and respond to a variety of claims, including copyright, audit, breach of contract, publicity and trademark, and work with the corporate legal department to develop litigation strategies.
• Member of New York Bar in good standing.
• JD from a top law school.
• At least 7 years at a prominent record label, law firm, in house legal department or equivalent experience.
• Superior negotiating, drafting and communication skills.
• The successful candidate will have the ability to prioritize, multitask, focus, and achieve results while working under stressful and demanding situations.
• In-depth understanding of the areas of the law applicable to the music business, such as copyright, contract and trademark.
• Strong business knowledge preferred.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4yj0q-3-227-0-150-42 in your application.