Senior Royalty Analyst
About Sony Music Entertainment
At Sony Music Entertainment, we fuel the creative journey. We've played a pioneering role in music history, from the first-ever music label to the invention of the flat disc record. We've nurtured some of music's most iconic artists and produced some of the most influential recordings of all time. Today, we work in more than 60 countries, supporting a diverse roster of international superstars, developing and independent artists, and visionary creators. From our position at the intersection of music, entertainment, and technology, we bring imagination and expertise to the newest products and platforms, embrace new business models, employ breakthrough tools, and provide powerful insights that help our artists push creative boundaries and reach new audiences. In everything we do, we're committed to artistic integrity, transparency, and entrepreneurship. Sony Music Entertainment is a member of the Sony family of global companies.
The Senior Accountant, Venture Accounting is responsible for performing accounting and analysis functions integral to financial statement reporting, management reporting and general accounting for various Distribution, P&D, Profit Participation, Co-financing/Co-production and Joint Venture deals between SME and various outside partners, including artists and producers.
• Review contracts, clarify issues, summarize key points and communicate to all affected departments, such as Accounting Services, Sales Services, Inventory Accounting, Inventory Management, Royalty Accounting, Label Finance, etc., so as to ensure compliance with the contract's terms and accurate accounting.
• Review and analyze monthly results for assigned ventures, including interfacing with departments to understand unusual variances or transactions, reconciling subsystems to the general ledger, preparing journal entries, analyzing accounts, etc.
• Prepare financial statements, cash flow and income projections, statements of accounts, return on investment in the deal, etc. in accordance with each deal's contract and issue to management and/or venture partner as appropriate.
• Liaise with Business Affairs, A&R Administration, outside partners, their attorneys, representatives and auditors to address issues, review statements, review status of deals, etc.
• Provide support for the audits of assigned venture financial statements with external auditors, including audits by venture partners' auditors.
• Assist in the preparation of Budgets and Estimates for joint venture related items (e.g., JV talent expense, JV partner share expense)
• Ad hoc special projects and analyses for senior management.
• Bachelor or Master Degree in Accounting.
• CPA preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years of public accounting experience.
• Working knowledge of GAAP, financial reporting, etc.
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Applications and working knowledge Enterprise accounting and management information systems.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with all levels of management.
• Ability to work well in a collaborative, team oriented environment.
• Disciplined self-starter with can-do attitude; proactive, resourceful, collaborative team player; detail oriented and strong follow-through skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.