Full Time Job
Simon & Schuster
- Full Time
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Simon & Schuster is a global leader in general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for readers of all ages, and in all printed, digital and audio formats. Its distinguished roster of authors includes many of the world's most popular and widely recognized writers, and winners of the most prestigious literary honors and awards.
It is home to numerous well-known imprints and divisions such as Simon & Schuster, Scribner, Atria Books, Gallery Books, Pocket Books, Adams Media, Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing and Simon & Schuster Audio and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom, and proudly brings the works of its authors to readers in more than 200 countries and territories. For more information visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com.
Simon & Schuster Australia is seeking a full-time Editor to join its dynamic local publishing team. We're looking for a passionate reader with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, an eye for detail, the ability to work collaboratively in a creative, fast-paced environment, experience working across a wide variety of genres – and a sense of humour. The ideal candidate would work alongside our publishing team managing key projects, from acquisition through the various stages of editing and production.
This role provides editorial support to a dynamic local publishing department. The editor will be involved in all stages of the publishing process, project managing books, copyediting, proofreading and management of page proofs, and providing final files to production for a wide range of adult titles.
Responsibilities will include:
• Project management of a wide range of fiction and non-fiction titles.
• Copyediting and proofreading of titles across the list.
• Clearing copyrighted text and illustrative material.
• Assisting in reading and assessing manuscripts and proposals submitted for publication
These are the skills and abilities we're looking for:
• Minimum of 3 years' book publishing experience as an editor.
• Experience in copyediting and proofreading a range of titles.
• An eye for detail and a thorough knowledge of spelling and grammar is essential.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and a desire and ability to work collaboratively and enthusiastically in a creative environment.
• The ability to juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• The ability to liaise directly with authors to resolve proofreading queries and style/consistency matters.
• The ability to facilitate communication between the author and other departments, and to proofread material for the Sales, Marketing and Publicity departments as required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in a wide variety of genres.
• Solid computer skills, including MS Word, Excel and databases.
To apply please submit your cover letter and CV online as soon as possible.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Salary to be negotiated based on skills and experience.
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rb737k-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.