Growth Marketing Manager
New York, NY
Guide the development and optimization of media strategy and plans to drive customer acquisition and retention for Showtime add-on services, apps on devices, and traditional distribution platforms.
Media Strategy & Planning for OTT partners and Traditional Accounts
• Work with Key Account Media, Marketing, and Sales teams on day-to-day operations pertaining to media for the OTT streaming services (ex: Amazon, Hulu) and traditional accounts (ex: DIRECTV, Verizon).
• Oversee the development and continuous refinement of the media strategy for Showtime Key Accounts in order to achieve subscriber and revenue goals through highly targeted and cost-efficient media campaigns. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ensuring media strategy drives marketing and business objectives.
• Verifying that plans are consistent with media strategy and take advantage of opportunities within Showtime programming and distributor-specific windows (ex: Amazon Prime Day, top device gifting and purchasing periods) in order to effectively plan quarters at a time and well in advance.
• Sharing media approach and learnings with Program Promotion Media and SOI Media teams in an effort to identify areas of overlap to find opportunities to be complementary or to register transferrable learnings.
• Collaborate closely with Showtime Key Account Marketing and Sales teams to maximize value in the management of digital and offline media opportunities; serve as a regular point-of-contact for external teams constructing media plans, providing guidance on media strategy.
• Attend and be an active participant in all regularly scheduled status meetings with the client partners, sales groups, and various internal marketing teams.
• Guide the strategic allocation of annual budget by account as well as cumulative budget allocation by initiative based on projected acquisition potential in order to maximize the effectiveness of dollars.
• Oversee the management of the account-specific budgets, including monthly budget distribution and media mix.
• Maintain an ongoing understanding of relative media performance by account and by channel to inform the strategic allocation of incremental budget, when available.
• Think creatively about various methods for evaluating advertising success, especially when tracking and campaign metrics are unavailable and/or imperfect.
• Provide media inputs for campaign briefs, including best practices, targeting, and budget distribution recommendations; collaborate with internal teams on additional brief elements to ensure consistency and cohesion.
• Shepherd campaign analysis with an emphasis on media KPIs (Free Trial Starts, Winbacks, etc.), and connect to business KPIs (conversion, churn, consumer lifetime value, etc.) and Product Insights (Usage patterns, Time Spent, etc.) to ensure cumulative refinement for future initiatives.
• Aim to apply transferrable learnings and product usage insights to and from applicable Key Account, standalone, and third-party add on campaigns to optimize fully comprehensive and complementary advertising initiatives and discern cross-team learnings and best practices.
• Ability to look beyond media metrics at product usage and business KPIs in order to inform media optimizations.
• Make recommendations for improvement on consumer flow and trackability in partner environments to achieve stronger measurement capabilities; serve as a liaison to the Product teams to champion platform-specific tracking initiatives (ex: Custom Landing Pages, Pixeling, Referral IDs, etc.).
• Identify areas in need of process creation and/or refinement and implement necessary changes after considering input from all impacted teams.
• Collaborate with Promotions team on planning and activating co-marketing ''events'' (presence at film festival, SXSW, etc.).
• Lead any dedicated subscriber-targeted Retention efforts that touch the Distributor world, and tie plan development and learnings to other teams' Retention plans.
• Present plans and performance updates to internal stakeholders and external clients.
• Author presentations to be shared with distributor contacts about media plans and how they support the mutual marketing goals.
• Summarize complex media campaigns and performance trends for broader Showtime Marketing groups and senior management.
• Regularly represent the Media team alongside peers in cross-functional status meetings and participate as a creative and vocal contributor in brainstorming sessions.
• Review and draft marketing language in legal documents such as Statements of Work, Master Services Agreements, and distribution contracts.
• Read, analyze and utilize media research and support team with deep analysis of emerging digital media tactics with an emphasis on digital innovation, programmatic buying, connected TV landscape, and advances in measurement technology.
Leadership & Training:
• Manage and develop the team
• Train, manage, and mentor the junior members of the team to deliver excellent work for all assigned tasks.
• Continue to educate the team on media planning and buying.
• Offer ongoing performance feedback and broader business insights, thereby inspiring the best work possible from direct reports and external agencies.
Resourcefulness and good judgment are required for this position. The Director oversees all day-to-day Key Account Media decisions. This department represents Showtime to the Media community on a daily basis, and therefore this candidate needs professional discretion, poise, and industry smarts, as anything spoken is a reflection of the team and company.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Strong technical understanding of the streaming landscape and emerging media opportunities to support acquisition and viewership initiatives.
• Extensive knowledge of marketing, advertising and media planning principles, with an expert knowledge of interactive TV applications, connected TVs, and programmatic buying methods.
• Mastery of direct response digital tactics including search, social, programmatic, display, video, and mobile advertising.
• Experience with mid- and upper-funnel tactics including digital takeovers, OOH, and TV.
• Highly developed communication skills, including: written, verbal, listening and presentation skills.
• Supervisory and management skills, including the ability to train and motivate a report.
• Constantly stays abreast of digital trends, emerging technologies, entertainment streaming platforms, social media community developments, and first-to-market advertising opportunities.
• Comfort analyzing data and using it to illustrate a marketing story.
• Passion for the entertainment space and Showtime's programming. Strong knowledge and understanding of the cable television industry, particularly the premium cable business, including the programming, marketing, and distribution aspects of the competitive category.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• 7-10+ years of digital media planning, advertising, and/or customer acquisition marketing.
o Digital media expertise required with a customer acquisition background preferred.
o Entertainment industry experience is strongly preferred with an advanced understanding of the streaming landscape.
o Leadership experience required for managing direct reports and external agencies.
o Strong communication a