Sesame Workshop is looking for a Vice President, Data Strategy & Analytics. The VP of Data Strategy & Analytics will empower Sesame Workshop to make data-powered decisions that drive tangible and measurable revenue, brand, and impact outcomes. They will build and lead a new data team, grow the platforms, and facilitate a data-first culture for the Workshop.
This job will be reporting directly to the Chief Research, Data, & Impact Officer, this individual will partner with senior leaders and other Sesame Workshop staff to develop data strategy and actionable insights around Sesame's target customer and audience segments for each of its key lines of business and impact areas. As a non-profit social enterprise, the Workshop has unique data needs that span traditional media, commercial, and social impact inputs and outputs; and a successful candidate will be able to work within and across those, in order to help stakeholders across the organization make more informed decisions such as:
• Developing more efficient marketing, promotion, and audience development strategies
• Expanding current product offerings (including new categories) and channels to drive new commercial revenue opportunities
• Understanding consumer giving and donation behavior and partnering to build a sustainable individual giving/subscription base
• Providing key competitive insights on how consumers are engaging with similar brands across platforms, in order to refine our programming, licensing, and distribution strategies
• Integrating partner data to assess the engagement and learning outcomes of our programs
• Assessing the impact of our education and humanitarian programs across platforms and in a wide range of contexts around the world
Importantly, as the inaugural leader for the company in this role, this person needs to have a unique set of skills that allow them to be a builder of capacity and capabilities in this space, a strategic partner across a wide range of partners and need-sets, and a driver of cultural change around data consumption and use for the organization writ large. In addition to being a part of the new Research, Data, and Impact group leadership team, which also includes market research, content research, and the Joan Ganz Cooney Center, the VP of Data Strategy & Analytics will work closely with partners across the Workshop, such as the Chief Marketing Officer, VP Audience Development, Chief Development Officer, VP Individual Giving, Chief Technology Officer, EVP Media & Education and SVP Social Impact & Philanthropy Operations.
More specific duties include:
• Providing centralized oversight of data science and data analytics strategy for the organization, with a goal of empowering users and super-users of that data across the organization
• Facilitating a ''data first'' and ''data-friendly'' culture at Sesame Workshop that uses a user-centered design approach to developing dashboards, data visualization, training and development programs, and more.
• Leading key data science projects that drive social impact, marketing effectiveness, channel optimization, better customer experience and relationship management, and operational efficiency
• Working closely with stakeholders across the organization to understand problems, design data-driven analytics solutions, and implement those using statistical methods, machine learning models, and Big Data technologies.
• Integrating disparate data sources to produce cross-functional reporting and actionable insights
• Communicating complex data stories and technical information to non-technical audiences, both through narrative and data visualization
• Managing the data lake, in partnership with the technology team, including assessing existing data sources, pipelines, processes, identifying and filling critical gaps
• Recruit, hire and mentor a small team (2-3) of data science and analytics professionals-developing their technical skills and business acumen, and supporting their understanding of institutional and department-level goals supporting their broader professional development
• Manage relationships and oversee projects with outside consultants and vendors.
• Master's or doctoral degree in data science, data analytics or similar experience in a relevant field
• 8+ years of work experience, including at least 5 years of experience managing a data science team
• Impeccable data analysis skills, as well as deep experience in building and executing on data strategy for complex organizations; experience setting up data architecture framework and managing organization-wide governance would be a plus
• Ability to synthesize large amounts of information and communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing (particularly in data dashboards and PowerPoint decks), to a range of audiences
• Track record of building strong relationships and working collaboratively and effectively with people at all levels in the organization, including senior leadership
• Track record of effectively managing, inspiring, and coaching high-performing team members
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit media and educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We're active in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of media, formal education, and philanthropically funded social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r09k8m-3-238-72-122-42 in your application.