ProPublica is an independent, nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest.
ProPublica is an award-winning independent nonprofit newsroom that produces investigative journalism with moral force. We dig deep into important issues, shining a light on abuses of power and betrayals of public trust - and we stick with those issues as long as it takes to hold power to account. With a team of more than 100 dedicated journalists across the country, we produce reporting that has contributed to the passage of new laws; reversals of harmful policies and practices; and accountability for leaders at local, state and national levels.
ProPublica is seeking a detail-oriented and well-organized professional to join the New York City headquarters as the finance coordinator, reporting to the finance director. This full-time position will be part of a five-person accounting/finance team responsible for a growing annual operating budget of approximately $44 million. The coordinator will play a critical role on the finance team, with primary focus on accounts payable and employee expenses and a secondary focus on accounting/administrative activity such as recording deposits, updating tracking sheets and entering journal entries. This would be a good opportunity for someone who wants to gain accounting/business experience and sharpen their skills while making a positive impact in a dynamic environment.
• Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to apply policies and procedures to correctly process a high volume of transactions from multiple sources.
• An active, engaged approach to work, taking initiative and following through.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Integrity and ability to discreetly handle vendors' confidential information.
• 2+ years of experience with accounts payable and/or financial accounting are preferred.
• Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Quickbooks Online and Bill.com is preferred.
• Some in-office work is required.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Responsibility for most functions of accounts payable, including coding and entering invoices, vendor relationship management, and maintenance/organization of finance files.
• Supporting the administration of the company credit card program and employee reimbursement procedures by reviewing expense reports for accuracy and adherence to policy, accumulating reports for review and following up with employees as needed.
• Journal entries and account reconciliations.
• Depositing physical checks and recording deposits accurately in QuickBooks.
• General financial administrative support, including support for the annual audit, data entry and compilation, and ad hoc projects.
The finance associate is a full-time position based in New York City with work occurring during typical weekday business hours. Work will be both remote and in person, with an expectation of three days per week at ProPublica's office in west SoHo and as many as four days per week in
office during peak periods. Applicants must be eligible to work in the US
The expected salary range for this position is $60,000-$68,000.
This is a good-faith estimate of what we expect to pay for this position. The final salary figure will take into account a person's experience, accomplishment and location. ProPublica is committed to paying its staff equitably, and these ranges should not be considered career salary limits or caps.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmppjx-34-239-154-201-42 in your application.