West Hollywood, CA
Overview and Responsibilities
As a Senior Software Engineering - Video Encoding, you will be expected to contribute with a team of engineers to support an industry-leading Over-the-Top (OTT) software platform. You will attend regular sprint meetings, and work closely with other engineers to ﬁx bugs, work on technical debt, and design & implement features. In this role, you will be considered to be 100% autonomous for day-to-day work.
Furthermore, you will be mentored by an engineer. This mentoring will come in the form of pair programming, ''review buddies'' (code and presentations), etc.
As an individual contributor you will need to provide validated expertise in the following areas:
• 5+ years Experience with Transcoding/Encoding ○ Knowledge of FFMPEG ○ Familiarity with Dolby Hybrik, AWS Elemental, or similar.
• Experience with compiled languages for backend web applications ○ GoLang (preferred), Java, C++, etc.
• 5+ years Experience with OTT ○ HLS and/or DASH ○ Dynamic Ad Insertion (DAI), Server-Side Ad Insertion (SSAI), Adaptive Bitrate (ABR) Streaming, etc.
• 10+ years of experience in a relevant ﬁeld (engineering, physics, mathematics, etc)
Experience with the following would be advantageous. Missing too many may result in too steep of a learning curve. Please be open and honest with yourself. If you don't have a skill set that would allow you to be 100% autonomous with at least 6 of the following technologies and concepts, you would not be a good ﬁt for this position. Consider further, you will be expected to mentor others on these technologies and concepts.
• Infrastructure as Code: Terraform, CloudFormation, Kubernetes, Helm
• GitHub, GitHub Actions
• Jenkins, Circleci, Ansible, Salt, etc
• Microservices Architecture
• Testing Best Practices ○ Unit Tests ○ Automated test suites
• Software Design Best Practices ○ Encapsulation ○ Decoupling ○ Happy Path + Design for Failure
• Support quick resolution to emergent production issues.
• Conversational verbal skills for the English language.
• Excellent written skills for the English language
About The Brand
Pluto TV, a ViacomCBS company, is the leading free streaming television service in America, delivering 250+ live and original channels and thousands of on-demand movies in partnership with major TV networks, movie studios, publishers, and digital media companies. Pluto TV is available on all mobile, web and connected TV streaming devices and millions of viewers tune in each month to watch premium news, TV shows, movies, sports, lifestyle, and trending digital series. Headquartered in West Hollywood, Pluto TV has offices in New York, Silicon Valley, Chicago and Berlin.