Penguin Random House wouldn't perhaps be the first company that comes to mind when you think of a career in technology, but here's a number of reasons why we think you should change your mind: we're the number 1 publishing firm in the USA, likely globally, fresh off the back of an incredibly strong performance last year; we're going through a lot of change, particularly in technology, and have embraced and thrived in an environment new to us; we consider ourselves to be the pioneers of publishing and are always looking for ways to operate more efficiently with creativity in mind; we feel like we're akin to a startup environment, but within an established business that's excited to embrace new processes and technologies – you have all the fun and excitement within a company that's tried and tested!
Data is at the core of Penguin Random House's success and has fast become an integral part of how we drive our business model. We're adding several positions to the Data Science team, starting with a Senior Data Scientist in a measurement and optimization focused role.
As a Senior Data Scientist on the team, you will have the opportunity to advance several strategic projects under the umbrella of measurement and optimization, including measuring marketing event driven sales, attribution modelling, creating a ROI optimizer across marketing channels, real-time keyword and campaign optimization, experimenting with and evaluating one off marketing levers, and conducting A/B testing, among others. We're proud to be able to say that we're at the start of an exciting new stage within our journey, where you'll gain a LOT of exposure to more parts of the business than most in what is a highly visible group. Our directors report into the Vice President, who reports into the COO, so you'll regularly be exposed to C-level executives!
You will ideally come with a collaborative, R&D-oriented, and analytical mindset. The role emphasizes written communication and a continuous documentation of learnings, as well as the ability to convey complex technical results to a non-technical audience.
While measurement and optimization remain the focus of your responsibilities, it also intersects with many other parts of the business. In addition to working closely with the Data Science team on these areas, you'll also need to collaborate regularly with decision makers across the business to tackle industry-specific problems.
At Penguin Random House, you will:
• Take full ownership of the current infrastructure around marketing mix modelling
• Optimize and scale the business impact of existing automated pipelines, identify efficiency gains, and take the initiative to improve them
• Oversee experiment design and the causal inference workstream, from early data exploration to analysis and delivering results
• Measure and evaluate event-driven sales from promotions, digital merchandising, market shocks, and yearly seasonality
• Study first and second order impacts of Amazon media spend at both the aggregate and keyword specific levels, with the goal of turning research findings into actionable recommendations for stakeholders
• Apply statistical rigor to supply chain issues and build production level models for inventory optimization
• An undergraduate degree in statistics, economics, mathematics, computer science, industrial engineering, data science, or a social science with a quantitative focus
• 4+ years of professional experience programming in either R or Python (R preferred)
• Aptitude with shell scripting, debugging tools, containerized environments, and any flavor of Linux
• Experience executing and managing field experiments; familiarity with probability-based sampling designs
• Familiarity with automated feature engineering, data imputation, and working with large datasets
• A track record of applied Bayesian modeling/inference or machine learning techniques to real world data
• Ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a business audience
• Proficiency using Git version control software to contribute to a shared repository/codebase
• Data munging skills; experience working with relational databases and fluency in SQL
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm1bwx-3-229-142-91-42 in your application.