Publicist/Senior Publicist, Avery TarcherPerigee (Nonfiction Titles)
At Penguin Random House, we are seeking a Publicist or Senior Publicist to execute independent publicity campaigns for a wide variety of nonfiction titles for our Avery and TarcherPerigee imprints. These imprints focus on books in the two primary categories of health and self-help, including subcategories such as accessible science, psychology, wellness, relationships, parenting, self-improvement, spirituality, lifestyle, an d gift/inspiration. This position will work on several titles at a time each season.
Some of Avery and TarcherPerigee's notable titles include: Atomic Habits, Set Boundaries Find Peace, Nine Nasty Words, Unwinding Anxiety, Things Are What You Make of Them, Notes to Self, 1000+ Little Things Happy Successful People Do Differently, Neurotribes, Love is the Way, Phallacy, The Book of Joy, Odd 1s Out, Inner Work of Racial Justice, Start Where You Are, The Cosmic Calendar, Now is the Way, I am Diosa, Parenting Outside the Lines
Essential Function and Responsibilities:
• Plans and executes publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books and manages the campaign budget for their specific titles.
• Pitches and secures top national and regional TV, print, radio, podcasts, and online media.
• Develops and maintains close working relationships with members of the press and seeks out new media outlets.
• Executes successful multi-city author tours, including independently overseeing travel arrangements, confirming bookstore and conference events, pitching local media and managing comprehensive tour schedules.
• Accompanying authors to local NYC based interviews and bookselling events
• Writes pitch letters, press releases, and other creative press material, as well as builds media pitch lists for title projects.
• Works closely with the publicity team as well as authors, agents, booksellers and key in-house departments including editorial, marketing, sales and subsidiary rights.
• Works closely with authors on all aspects of publicity, including briefing authors on how to handle interviews and accompanying authors to publicity engagements.
• Performs general department responsibilities and represents the imprints at various meetings, functions, and industry events.
• Minimum of 3 years' experience in book publishing with strong media relations and a keen interest in market trends, a minimum of 5 years' experience to be considered at the Senior Publicist level
• Experience working on and helping manage authors who have built a brand and/or have written multiple books over a period of time a plus
• A motivated and innovative self-starter who is detail-oriented, able to work very well collaboratively, and with a proven ability to demonstrate good follow-up and follow-through
• Ability to meet deadlines, multitask, and prioritize
• Strong attention to detail and organization skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must be a creative and strategic thinker
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Knowledge of Cision, Muckrack, and Publicity Workbench, a plus
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rze4m2-3-236-225-157-42 in your application.