Publicity Manager - Random House
Penguin Random House
New York, NY
Random House Children's Books seeks an enthusiastic and book-passionate Publicist to join its Publicity team. We are looking for someone with high energy and enthusiasm for children's books, and who can conceptualize creative out-of-the-box ideas for securing coverage for our authors/illustrators and brands.
Internally, the role will interact closely with Marketing, Sales and Editorial teams, and externally the role will entail working hand-in-hand with authors/illustrators, booksellers, and reviewers.
We are proud to publish many of the world's bestselling and highly acclaimed authors and illustrators for young people today including Carl Hiaasen (Hoot), Christopher Paolini (The Inheritance Cycle series), Ruby Bridges (This is Your Time), Emily Winfield Martin (The Wonderful Things You Will Be), President Barack Obama (Of Thee I Sing), Nicola Yoon (The Sun is Also A Star ), Nic Stone (Dear Martin), Philip Pullman (The Golden Compass), R. J. Palacio (Wonder), Paul McCartney (Hey Grandude!), Karen M. McManus (One of Us is Lying) Former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama (Becoming Adapted for Young Readers), John Cena (Elbow Grease), Erika L. Sánchez (I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter), Rebecca Stead (When You Reach Me), Brandon Sanderson (Skyward), Tae Keller (When You Trap a Tiger), and Markus Zusak (The Book Thief).
Specific Responsibilities include:
• Managing relationships with authors and illustrators
• Overseeing publicity campaigns for picture books, middle-grade and YA novels, as well as brand programs, as well as supporting senior members of the team on high-profile campaigns
• Pitching and securing media across a variety of trade and consumer outlets as well as executing national multi-city author tours, booking both in-store events, school appearances, and festival opportunities
• Developing our new monthly children's book newsletter for media
• Minimum 3 years of publicity experience
• Experience and/or interest in children's publishing is preferred
• Social media savvy in book publicity
• Knowledge of and interest in the media landscape, as well as growing relationships with book reviewers, magazine editors, social influencers and bloggers
• Domestic travel to support various author appearances include National Tours, Festival Opportunities, Special Events, and Conferences (pending travel guidelines, in 2022 and beyond)
• Excellent organizational, attention to detail, and time-management skills
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and handle confidential information with discretion
• High sense of urgency and ability to problem-solve calmly in emergency situations
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including: Outlook, Word, Excel
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r71y88-35-170-64-36-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.