The Production Editorial department of the Penguin Publishing Group is seeking an experienced Production Editor to join its team. The Production Editor will work on both mass market paperback and hardcover originals for the Putnam, Avery, TarcherPerigee, Dutton, Plume imprints. This role oversees all aspects of the production cycle for fiction and nonfiction trade and hardcover titles, on titles ranging from thrillers and literary nonfiction to popular-science-based titles to author-illustrated books.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Works closely with freelancers and in-house departments to handle all stages of the production process, from transmittal of the electronic manuscript through bound book
• Style manuscripts for design and typesetting
• Works in close conjunction with editorial, managing editorial, design, production and freelancers to create timelines and troubleshoot project-related concerns and issues
• Assign, review, and correct the work of freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers, from the manuscript stage through the final passes of the book
• Works on and reviews all phases of text from manuscript through blues (copyedits, proofreads, reviews all freelanced work, etc.)
• Copyedits and proofreads all stages of cover production, from cover copy to printers' proofs
• For paperback conversions, copyedit all new material for paperbacks, creating electronic files and forms as necessary, interacting with freelance proofreaders, and following all stages through to bound book.
• Reviews promotional and galley-related materials
• At least three years of production editorial experience
• Must be able to work and review work electronically using the track changes function in Word and mark-up tools in Adobe Acrobat
• Ability to prioritize multiple assignments, work well under pressure, and consistently meet tight deadlines
• Self-motivated team player with good critical-thinking skills
• Highly detail-oriented, with thorough command of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage
• Knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter with salary requirements.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rznkp7-3-230-144-31-42 in your application.