Manga Editor, Kodansha
Penguin Random House Publisher Services is seeking an editor or senior editor to oversee manga titles on behalf of our client, Kodansha. Since it began publishing in 2009, the Kodansha Comics imprint has been a runaway success, with hits including Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, Battle Angel Alita, and AKIRA vaulting it into the top ranks of global English-language graphic novel publishers. The successful candidate will have a deep knowledge of and passion for comics and Japanese culture, excellent English-language editing and writing skills, and strong professional organization. They will be excited for the challenge of editing manga translations in a variety of genres and age categories.
• Work with translators and designers to complete English-language manga localizations at a high standard of quality, including interiors and covers.
• Periodically suggest and/or review title candidates for acquisition from Japanese licensors.
• Help identify target consumers and key selling points and write cover copy for new acquisitions.
• Suggest English-language book titles, author name spellings, and BISAC codes and check editorial metadata for new acquisitions.
• Support marketing activities for assigned titles as necessary.
• Periodically contribute to recruitment efforts and updates to editorial processes and style guides for freelance vendors.
• Work alongside four other editors, fielding difficult localization or technical questions.
• Experience in manga or graphic novel publishing or another field demonstrating applicable skills (such as periodicals publishing or literary translation)
• Aptitude in written Japanese sufficient to evaluate potential titles, correct translation errors, and understand conversational nuance
• Writing ability and judgment necessary to craft localizations that replicate the Japanese reading experience for an English reader
• Impeccable organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite or ability to learn
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6z5o8-3-238-130-97-42 in your application.