Penguin Random House
New York, NY
Junior Designer - Random House Publishing Group/ One World & New Pop Culture-Focused Imprint
The Random House Publishing Group is seeking a Junior Designer to join their talented team of design professionals! This position requires imagination and passion. In this role, you will assist Art Directors and collaborate with Editors and Publishers in the department on a wide range of adult fiction and nonfiction titles and will also have the opportunity to create book jackets and covers of their own. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn how to create book covers and about the overall publishing process.
The role will focus on books for the One World imprint, a home to award-winning and bestselling authors who are collectively leading the cultural conversation, and the newly formed Roc Lit imprint, devoted to publishing books at the dynamic intersection of entertainment and genre-defying literature, including exhilarating, innovative work from some of the biggest artists and most imaginative and incisive writers of our time on a wide range of subject such as music, sports, pop culture, activism, and art.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Designing mechanicals, assisting with research, and helping to create cover and jacket designs.
• Preparing files for production.
• Reviewing and correcting proofs with the assistance of senior staff.
• Utilizing design skills in the modification of layouts and series titles.
• Making reprint corrections.
• Preparing presentation materials, maintaining high production standards, and keeping to schedules and budgets.
• Work with freelance designers, illustrators, and photographers.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Genuine interest in book cover design
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline driven environment
• Strong organizational skills with firm attention to detail
• Strong design and typography skills
• A passion for adult fiction and non-fiction books
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task successfully
• Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)
To apply, please submit your portfolio, resume, and cover letter with salary requirements. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gq8v4z-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.