Alfred A. Knopf was founded in 1915 and has long been known as a publisher of celebrated and thought-provoking hardcover fiction and non-fiction. Its list of authors includes Toni Morrison, John Updike, Cormac McCarthy, Alice Munro, Anne Rice, Anne Tyler, Jane Smiley, James Baldwin, Richard Ford, Julia Child, Kazuo Ishiguro, and Michael Ondaatje, as well as such classic writers as Thomas Mann, Willa Cather, John Hersey, and John Cheever.
Penguin Random House is seeking a Junior Designer to join the award-winning Knopf Doubleday art department to work across all of our imprints: Knopf, Doubleday, Pantheon, Vintage, and Anchor. Responsibilities include designing and preparing mechanicals for paperback covers and hardcover jackets and designing and creating social media presentations. The Junior Designer will work closely with the art directors and senior design staff, as well as editorial, managing editorial, and production departments to assist in taking book covers through the entire design process. This is an amazing opportunity to join an innovative art department and work with the renowned titles of Knopf.
• Designing original book covers and jackets
• Preparing cover mechanicals
• Preparing files for production
• Reviewing and correcting proofs with the assistance of senior staff
• Utilizing design skills in the modification of layouts and series titles
• Adapting hardcover designs for paperback, putting together movie tie-in covers
• Making reprint corrections
• Designing typography-driven eBook covers
• Help design and prepare social media campaigns for Instagram
• Assist in brand development
• Graphic design degree or relevant work experience
• Design internship experience a plus
• Genuine interest in book cover design
• Experience with motion graphic, photography, and social media a plus
• Ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment
• Strong organizational skills with firm attention to detail
• Ability to think and work creatively
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat)
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-ro91q4-3-225-221-151-42 in your application.