Junior Developer, Email Marketing
Simon & Schuster
New York, NY
Are you a fan of great design and great books? Are you a highly creative individual who wants to bring innovative designs to book publishing social media content, advertising, and promotions? We have the perfect job for you!
Penguin Random House is seeking a Junior Designer to join a fast-paced and innovative Creative Marketing Services team, working primarily on the Berkley imprint. Berkley leads the way in publishing commercial fiction, including OwnVoices novels, thrillers, rom-coms, women's fiction, historical fiction, horror, and more. Some of the authors we're proud to publish include Jasmine Guillory, Mark Greaney, Christine Feehan, Chanel Cleeton, Laurell K. Hamilton, Ann Rule, Nalini Singh, Max Seeck-the list goes on.
This role will work closely with marketers and art directors to brainstorm and create marketing, publicity, and promotional materials and will have opportunities to work on special team projects and conceive independent projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Conceptualizing and designing digital and print ad campaigns as well as promotional materials for assigned titles, including but not limited to cover animations/animated gifs and other videos, social media images, lifestyle photos, original illustrations, e-cards, website assets, postcards, bookmarks, displays.
• Working closely with the Art Director to refine designs and copy, incorporate feedback, and route work to internal departments.
• Photo researching, as well as retouching and color correction of images.
• Creating book mockups/product shots in Photoshop.
• Designing presentations for sales conferences and author and agent meetings.
• Keeping up to date on design trends and marketing news and participating in group brainstorms and discussions.
• Submitting pixel-perfect, typo-free designs to traffickers, media partners, printers, and vendors.
Please apply if you meet the following requirements:
• Minimum of six months' design experience as a staff designer, design intern, or related freelance work
• Excellent design ability, including strong type design, as demonstrated by a stellar portfolio
• Proven self-starter with strong task management skills and attention to detail
• Proven ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to communicate, problem solve creatively, and collaborate well with internal and external partners under tight deadlines
• Flexible, inquisitive, and eager to learn
• Experience with color correction, color theory, retouching, and preparing files for output,
both digital and print
• Highly proficient in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere
• Knowledge of HTML, HTML5, Google Web Designer, and Adobe Dreamweaver a plus
• Illustration ability a plus
• Publishing experience a plus
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your portfolio, résumé, and cover letter. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d2288m-3-236-118-225-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.