Sr. Data Scientist
Penguin Random House
New York, NY
We are looking for a Java developer to join our team.
This role will focus on designing, building, modernizing, and optimizing our automated, data-driven marketing solutions. This critical work, done in collaboration with the data science and user experience teams, will drive our understanding of reader interests and enable book recommendations.
We are looking for someone who loves data-driven automation and building high volume applications. They have a passion and knack for modernizing and optimizing analytics tools and creating automated messaging systems. While grounded in Java and AWS, the role will frequently branch into a variety of languages and technologies as part of the effort to modernize and expand an ecosystem of applications and services.
In addition, there will also be plenty of opportunity to expand into and/or gain experience in a variety of disciplines from data security, advanced data modelling, and machine learning to data science, user experience and system design. The ideal candidate is constantly seeking to expand their knowledge and skills, and also enjoys cultivating knowledge and skills in others through mentoring, teamwork, and peer reviews.
You are passionate about both the technology and the community that uses it. You are comfortable in fast-paced, autonomous, agile teams that are not afraid to take risks to push the boundaries of what's possible in publishing and reader engagement. You are flexible enough to accommodate changing priorities in a world that is in constant flux. You speak up, share ideas, provide feedback, and enjoy working within a collaborative, highly communicative environment.
Our mission is to foster a universal passion for reading by partnering with authors to create stories and that inform, entertain, and inspire, and to connect them with readers everywhere. As part of the applications team, you will be building, maintaining, and evolving the foundation of that passion – solutions to communicate, engage, and connect.
Penguin Random House (PRH) is not just passionate about its mission, it's also passionate about its people. We value the balance of work and life, celebrate everyone's unique interests and perspectives, and continuously strive to be a great place to work. We offer a variety of benefits and perks from free and discounted books, to engaging speaker series, to competitive employee-centric benefits.
Join the PRH family and be part of the team building the future of reader engagement.
• Write high quality production code as part of a small, cross-functional, agile team
• Collaborate and communicate with team members across roles and departments
• Create, improve and extend production APIs
• Improve and extend automated customer messaging systems
• Design and develop data pipelines and related architectures to operationalize data models
• Continuously reduce or eliminate technical debt
• Maintain automated test suites to support CI/CD processes
• Design and implement components, features, and bug fixes on a variety of systems
• Integrate software components with internal and external APIs
• Participate in and positively influence a collaborative, respectful, self-reflective team process
• Participate in peer code reviews (as a reviewer and reviewee)
Qualifications & Experience:
• A minimum of 3 years professional experience in software application development
• Technical skills including:
• Java (primary language, Java 8 or greater, Spring framework, Junit, Hibernate, etc.)
• Relational and Schema-less Databases (MySQL, Postgres, DynamoDB, MongoDB, etc.)
• Docker Container Experience
• Python experience in batch/automation processing
• On-the-job experience with AWS, GCP, or Azure
• Git for versioning and team collaboration
• Automated test suites experience with unit testing, integration testing, and CI
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx37eo-18-204-227-34-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.