Graphics Editor, Pantheon Books
Pantheon is seeking an Editor with a proven record for publishing successful, high-quality, diverse, and international graphic fiction and non-fiction, and strong relationships with agents, authors, and foreign publishers to develop a list of books that both uphold the spirit of this esteemed, eighty-year-old list while helping to chart a bold and progressive future.
Pantheon was founded in 1942 by Helen and Kurt Wolff and began by publishing literature in translation. In the post-war decades, Pantheon emerged as the premiere home to major works of cultural commentary by such authors as Studs Terkel, Marguerite Duras, and Simone de Beauvoir; and, in the early nineties, with the publication of MAUS became known for its pioneering work in the world of graphics. Today its star-studded roster of award-winning authors and graphic novelists include Charles Burns, Michael Cho, James Gleick, Margo Jefferson, Ha Jin, Richard McGuire, Kristen Radtke, Alex Ross, Marjane Satrapi, Alexander McCall Smith, Ali Smith, Wole Soyinka, Art Spiegelman, Gengoroh Tagame, Heather Ann Thompson, Chris Ware, and Charles Yu.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in award-winning and commercial-facing projects with an established acquisitions record, impeccable editorial skills, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. They will be self-motivated and independent but also contribute actively as part of a small, and highly collaborative team.
The Editor will take a hands-on approach to all processes of book production from acquisition to publication for 8 to 10 titles annually.
• Actively solicit, acquire, evaluate, and develop nonfiction and fiction graphics, including self-generated book projects.
• Build and nurture strong relationships with a portable network of agents and author contacts
• Work with writers developing and finalizing manuscripts, including substantive and line edits
• Manage the lifecycle of the editorial process from acquisition to publication, maintaining an effective relationship with production, managing editorial/copyediting, cover and interior design, and other support departments
• Oversee the preparation of title information sheet, jacket, and catalog copy; and review marketing and publicity materials
• Conduct and evaluate title sales research, as it relates to acquisition P&Ls
• Partner with the publicity and marketing teams, working closely on creating book campaigns
• Overall, be a powerful and proactive advocate for your titles and Pantheon as a whole
• A strong history of acquiring and publishing profitable and critically acclaimed graphic novels, comics, and omnibuses
• Knowledge of comics and publishing businesses, both mainstream and independent
• Excellent negotiation and timely follow-up skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong understanding of design and editorial page layout
• Eloquent and impactful presentation abilities
• Effective, goal-oriented team player who can cultivate productive working relationships
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to be supportive of other team members as well as authors
• Proficiency in creative problem-solving, decision making, time management, and setting priorities
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program, kindly attach your cover letter and resume in our application system.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
City: New York
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 167501
Aug 26, 2021
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d895kx-34-239-160-86-42 in your application.