The Avery and TarcherPerigee imprints of Penguin Random House have an exciting opportunity for an Editorial Assistant or Assistant Editor to join their team. The Assistant or Assistant Editor will provide administrative and editorial support to two senior-level editors, and will work on range of nonfiction titles. This position provides the opportunity to learn about the overall editorial process and the inner workings of a large publishing house.
These imprints focus on nonfiction books in the two primary categories of health and self-help, including subcategories such as accessible science, psychology, wellness, relationships, parenting, self-improvement, spirituality, lifestyle, and gift/inspiration.
Titles include: Unwinding Anxiety, Atomic Habits, Nine Nasty Words, Set Boundaries Find Peace, Odd 1s Out, The Spirit Almanac, I Am Diosa, Attached, Burn After Writing.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Providing administrative support to two senior-level editors.
• Overseeing the development of book projects from acquisition to publication.
• Assisting in the acquisitions process by reading and evaluating submissions.
• Coordinating schedules with the Editorial, Managing Editorial, and Production teams.
• Preparing manuscripts for production, routing and tracking contracts, and processing expense reports.
• Communicating between authors, agents, and a variety of internal departments, including Marketing, Publicity, Sales, Production, and Art.
• Preparing paperwork, including contract requests, profit and loss statements, and production memos.
• Writing title information sheets, online copy, and cover copy.
• Managing weekly editorial meeting minutes.
• In addition to the above responsibilities, the Assistant Editor would serve as the primary editorial contact on select titles.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Ability to prioritize multiple assignments in a deadline-driven environment
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Prior office experience within publishing a plus; minimum 2 years of editorial experience in book publishing to be considered at the assistant editor level
• Familiarity and/or interest in the current marketplace and an appetite for personal growth, psychology, wellness, and creativity.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proven ability to use available resources to problem solve
• Familiarity with social media platforms
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Salary for this position is $45,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Country: United States of America
State/Region: New York
City: New York City
Postal Code: 10019
Job ID: 151901
Jun 3, 2021
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d93p37-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.