Full Time Job
Editor - Waterbrook & Multnomah
Penguin Random House
- Full Time
- Senior (5-10 years) Experience
Penguin Random House is seeking an experienced Editor for the WaterBrook and Multnomah imprints, with a focus on books that serve the needs and interests of readers who identify with contemporary Charismatic faith. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of an area in the Christian market that has seen tremendous growth.
The Editor will solicit, acquire, evaluate and develop nonfiction manuscripts and proposals across a range of genres, including inspirational, Christian living, devotional, and personal growth. The role includes building a personal list of key relationships with authors and agents, identifying up-and-coming communicators, nurturing established author relationships, and working alongside other editors to bring their acquired projects to completion.
Award-winning and notable authors at WaterBrook and Mulnomah include Michael Todd, Tim Tebow, Latasha Morrison, Steven Furtick, Jennie Allen, John & Lisa Bevere, Mark Batterson, and Nick Vujicic.
• Acquires and develops new book projects
• Reads and evaluates manuscripts and proposals; recommends proposals for acquisition
• In coordination with the editorial director, assesses potential value of projects, crafts P&Ls, formulates acquisitions requests
• Works with authors on concepts, outlines, and revisions of manuscripts, including substantive and line edits
• Manages select repackaging projects to maintain backlist
• Consults with the art, production, and managing editorial departments on schedule, design, and packaging of books
• Develops and maintains author, agent, and publisher contacts and engages in developmental work with authors
• Effectively represents the strengths and goals of the imprints, regularly interfacing with existing authors and agents and networking with potential authors and agents
• Tracks manuscripts through all stages of editing, design, and production
• Consults with authors on style, content, and format changes
• Prepares supplemental material as needed, including endorsement requests and final endorsement copy, early reading samples and other materials as requested for the sales force, along with study guide questions and value-add materials
• Prepares title information sheets; processes and edits copypacks (cover and marketing copy)
• Keeps abreast of trends and competitive titles, particularly those with relevance to the contemporary Charismatic movement.
• Handles daily correspondence, office work, phones, attends required meetings
• Handles special projects as assigned and provides assistance to other members of the editorial team
• Performs other related duties, administrative tasks, support functions as needed
• Five years book editorial experience or equivalent, transferable experience in another field
• Exceptional communication skills, verbal and written
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Experience in both concept development and line editing
• Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task and prioritize in a deadline-driven environment
• Self-motivated and results-oriented
• Ability to work well independently as well as in collaborative or team environment
*Open to remote candidates.
The salary range for this position is $65,000-$70,000. Please apply using our online application system and please submit a cover letter in addition to your resume.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r11njy-3-215-177-171-42 in your application.
Find More Jobs Like This
Penguin Random House
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.