Do you love beautiful books for kids? You could be the one designing those beautiful covers and interiors!
The Random House Children's Books middle grade art team is seeking a highly motivated, creative designer to join a fast-paced and collaborative team. This role will work closely with the Assistant Art Director and be involved in all phases of middle grade book design, from concept through mechanicals to final production and preparing print-ready files for middle grade jackets and covers, interiors, and chapter books. The designer will work as part of the team which brought the world such titles as Eragon, Wonder, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, Clean Getaway, When You Trap a Tiger, and more!
• Assist middle grade Assistant Art Director and team with various cover and interior design projects using InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator skills.
• Manage all stages of middle grade book design from sketches to title type/series logo design, to releasing files to printer.
• Responsible for designing and releasing middle grade jackets and interiors.
• Prepare press-ready files and review digital and printed proofs, all while maintaining production schedules and printer deadlines.
• Communicate in an effective, professional, and thoughtful manner with supervisor, team, artists, and agents.
• Attend production meetings, cover meetings, and sales meetings with Assistant Art Director and Editors for specific projects.
• 3-5 years design experience
• Passion for children's books that includes staying up-to-date on current trends
• A portfolio that highlights strong typography skills, hand-lettering and illustration skills a plus
• Some knowledge of pre-press, 1-color and 4-color printing process, and PDF workflow
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator)
• Highly organized, able to handle multiple tasks, to prioritize and manage time efficiently
• Strong attention to detail, quality, and process
• Exceptional professional written and oral communication skills
• Willingness to take on responsibilities and demonstrates an ability to ask for support or help
To apply, please submit a cover letter and a link to your portfolio.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3xn0x-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.