Penguin Random House
New York, NY
Business Analyst, Penguin Publishing Group
Penguin Publishing Group is seeking a Business Analyst to join our Finance and Strategy team. The Analyst will support the Director of Finance and Strategy on a broad range of activities, including strategic analysis, pricing, and day-to-day business management. The Analyst will be an analytical thinker responsible for aggregating and analyzing large amounts of data from multiple sources and presenting it in a simple and succinct way. This is an excellent opportunity with strong growth potential for a curious person looking to learn about the book publishing business.
The Penguin Publishing Group is the proud publisher of great writers and gifted storytellers, beloved books and eminent works. We publish fiction, non-fiction, and the classics including: Ron Chernow, Brit Bennett, Elizabeth Gilbert, Phil Jackson, Jojo Moyes, Celeste Ng, Delia Owens, John Sanford, Simon Sinek, Zadie Smith, and many, many more.
• Supporting the Finance and Strategy team in three key areas of operation:
1. Strategic Projects
2. Digital Pricing Strategy
3. Business Management
• Strategic Projects:
• Creating strategic projects and developing insights to drive growth and profitability for the Penguin Publishing Group business
• Using internal data systems to extract and aggregate appropriate data sets and present data in a clear and concise format. The candidate will act like an internal consultant, collecting and gathering data, testing hypothesis, and developing insights and recommendations to help groups across PPG make informed, data driven decisions
• Managing digital pricing strategy for Penguin Publishing Group, including a robust promotional program. Tasks include evaluating effectiveness of price changes, communicating impacts to publishing teams, and liaising with sales teams and corporate stakeholders
• Business Management:
• Preparing data and analysis to support the Business Managers and Publishers with new title acquisitions and other projects as needed
• Providing support on budgeting and forecasting, including the extraction and analysis of data
• Creating and distributing month-end and year-end reporting to management
• Presenting and effectively communicating data to Business Managers in a timely and accurate manner for any projects assigned to them
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Undergraduate degree in Business, Finance, Economics or the quantitative / analytical equivalent
• 1 to 3 years relevant work experience; management consulting, financial services, or strategic experience preferred
• Fluent in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) and experience with business intelligence software such as Power BI and Business Objects
• Ability to transform large data sets into easy to read and interpret tables, graphs, presentations, etc.
• A team-player with an eagerness to learn
• Ability to work on multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously
• Strong organizational and time-management skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong communication & people skills
• Interest in or knowledge of Media and/or Publishing is a plus
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3v3ox-3-236-222-124-42 in your application.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.