Penguin Random House is seeking an Associate Production Manager to join the Penguin Publishing Group (PPG) division, working primarily on the Avery and TarcherPerigee lists, publishers of illustrated and non-illustrated non-fiction, 1 to 4/C. These lists focus on books in the two primary categories of health and self-help, including subcategories such as accessible science, psychology, wellness, relationships, parenting, self-improvement, spirituality, lifestyle, and gift/inspiration.
In this role, you will work with a Production Director on a list consisting of paperback conversions from hardcovers as well as trade paperback originals. This position plays an important role in ensuring that books are produced within budget, delivered on time, and are of the highest quality. You will be handling books from manuscript to finished books, or picking up files from an earlier edition and having them revised for new material and/or new trim size. You will also be given an opportunity to learn about image markup (actual adjustments to be made by a prep house) and print requirements.
Some of Avery and TarcherPerigee's notable and award-winning titles include: Unwinding Anxiety, Atomic Habits, Nine Nasty Words, Set Boundaries Find Peace, Odd 1s Out, The Spirit Almanac, I Am Diosa, Attached, Burn After Writing, Living Bread, and The Little Pine Cookbook.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Consulting with the managing editorial, production editorial, and art & design teams to develop
the specifications and schedules for individual titles.
2. Creating estimates and profit & loss statements.
3. Entering and updating book specifications into the PRH SAP system.
4. Issuing purchase orders for each assigned title and approving necessary costs and invoices
5. Working closely with vendors, including compositors, component printers and printer/binderies,
with troubleshooting, schedules and deliverables.
6. Trafficking materials and proof passes internally and with outside vendors.
7. Examining book samples and ensuring quality benchmarks are maintained for each book
• Minimum of 4 years of trade paperback production experience; hardcover experience a plus.
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a deadline driven environment
• A comfort with numbers
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong organization and scheduling skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proven experience working with multiple vendors, including compositors and component
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
• Knowledge of SAP, FileMaker Pro, InDesign, and Photoshop a plus
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gxnqe1-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.