Penguin Random House is currently seeking an Associate Editor to join its Crown imprint. This is an innovative team focused on nonfiction titles across categories such as history, biography, current events, memoir, and science. This position reports to the SVP, Publisher & Editor in Chief and is a great opportunity for someone who wants to become an acquiring editor.
Crown's award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors include President Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, Matthew Desmond, Erik Larson, Matthew McConaughey, Rebecca Skloot, Susan Cain, and Tim Snyder among others.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working with supervisor on the progress of book projects from acquisition to publication by arranging schedules with the Editorial, Managing Editorial, and Production departments.
• Assisting supervisor in the acquisitions process by reading and evaluating manuscripts and proposals, writing rejection letters, and researching and developing ideas.
• Acting as the in-house liaison between Editorial, Production, Design, and Managing Editorial departments, as well as the Sales, Marketing and Publicity teams.
• Liaising with authors and agents in all phases of process from acquisition to publication.
• Delivering conceptual, structural, and line edits to authors.
• Preparing paperwork, including contract requests, profit and loss statements, estimate requests, and check requests.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
• Minimum of 2 years of trade book editorial experience
• Strong interest in nonfiction titles; interest in politics and pop culture a plus
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Proficient with software and other tools used for editing, reviewing, uploading, and transferring manuscripts and written materials
• Ability to prioritize and excel in a deadline-driven and detail-oriented environment
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1oe8m-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.