Assistant Editor, Manga (Open to Remote)
Penguin Random House Publisher Services is seeking an assistant editor to oversee manga titles on behalf of our client, Kodansha Comics. Since it began publishing in 2009, Kodansha's English-language manga program has been a runaway success, with hits including Sailor Moon, Attack on Titan, Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku, AKIRA, and A Silent Voice vaulting it into the top ranks of global English-language graphic novel publishers. The successful candidate will have a passion for comics and Japanese culture, strong Japanese literacy, good editorial judgment, English-language writing and editing skills, and professional comportment. They will be excited for the challenge of editing manga translations in a variety of genres and age categories and eager to pitch in on other tasks.
Application Deadline: September 17, 2023 at 11:59 PM EST
• Work with translators and designers to complete English-language manga localizations at a high standard of quality
• Review printer proofs of covers and interiors
• Work with the managing editorial team to complete the above tasks on time
• Periodically develop proposals, in collaboration with the client and PRH publishing and production teams, for successful print manga, including recommended licenses, formats, cover designs, and other specifications
• Help identify target consumers and key selling points and write cover copy for new acquisitions
• Assist with administrative tasks, including sending complementary copies to vendor and licensors and maintaining an office library of Japanese- and English-language books
• Support marketing activities for assigned titles as necessary
• Work alongside other editors, fielding difficult localization or technical questions according to seniority and skills
• Work samples showing strong English writing and/or editing ability
• Aptitude in written Japanese sufficient to evaluate potential titles, correct translation errors, and understand conversational nuance
• Writing ability and judgment necessary to craft localizations that replicate the Japanese reading experience closely for a reader of English
• Unquenchable passion for Japanese comics
• Professional organizational skills and eagerness to learn more about all aspects of the manga publishing industry
• Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (or ability to learn)
The salary for this position is $53,000. All positions are currently eligible for annual profit award or bonus, subject to Company results. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Penguin Random House job postings include a good faith compensation range for each open position. The salary range listed is specific to each particular open position and takes into account various factors including the specifics of the individual role, and candidate's relevant experience and qualifications.
Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Our range of benefits include, but are not limited to, Medical/Prescription drug insurance, Dental, Vision, Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, Pre-Tax and Roth 401(k), Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life/AD&D Insurance, Commuter Benefits, Student Loan Repayment Program, Educational Assistance & generous paid time off.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rbyxy6-44-200-101-84-42 in your application.