Application Developer - Python, Oracle/Postgres (Open to Remote)
Application Developer - Python, Oracle/Postgres - Open to Remote
Penguin Random House wouldn't perhaps be the first company that comes to mind when you think of a career in Technology but here's a number of reasons why we think you should change your mind: we're the number 1 Publishing firm in the USA and globally, fresh off the back of an incredibly strong performance last year; we're going through a lot of change, particularly in technology, and have embraced and thrived in an environment new to us; we consider ourselves to be the pioneers of Publishing and are always looking for ways to operate more efficiently with creativity in mind; our retention is incredibly high and most of our team have been in the company for over 10 years ; we feel like we're akin to a start up environment, but within an established business that's excited to embrace new processes and technologies – you have all the fun and excitement within a company that's tried and tested!
So how does this apply to you, I hear you ask? Well, the IT department is looking for an Applications Developer or Senior Developer to join our Content Applications team where you'll work as an integral member within a small but expanding team where agility, collaboration and development are key.
The Content Applications group is responsible for the applications that are used to create, store, and distribute the digital content and IP for the largest English language publisher. These applications move half a petabyte of data a year and manage the storage of 100s of TBs for tens of millions of assets. Effectively you're at the core of the entire business model, and we've listed a few of the key responsibilities we'd expect you to complete below:
• Hands-on development of web applications in Python/Django/ReactJS
• Lead the design, development, and maintenance of custom web applications (Senior developer)
• Build low-latency, high-availability, and performant applications
• Maintain legacy and future-state software applications in alignment with broader business objectives
• Communicate effectively and professionally in all forms of communication with internal and external customers
There's naturally a lot more to the role, isn't there always(?!), and as it's such an important position, we're looking for you to come to us with:
• 5+ years of hands-on software development experience, 8+ years to be considered at Senior level
• Hands-on experience in one or more of the following
• Oracle, PostgreSQL or MySQL
• Experience building microservices as well as strong unit test and debugging skills
• Ability to work as a team or independently, be proactive, and work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Comfortable with change, competing priorities, and continuous learning – think back to what we said about Startup environment!
• Interest and ability to learn other coding languages and frameworks as needed
We also know that there's a lot of potential additional skills or experiences you may bring and we'd love to see AWS or Docker as a strong plus.
The environment you'll be working in
This is a high visibility position with huge growth potential and we're excited to see how you could potentially add to the team, so apply now and don't forget to highlight what skills you have that would showcase your suitability.
As a Full-time employee, you'll enjoy our comprehensive benefits program which offers everything from incredibly generous time off including 12 company paid holidays, 10 sick days, 4 personal days AND 15 vacations days (increasing at years 1, 10 and 25), Medical, Dental & Vision through Anthem BCBS, 401k, student loan repayment program, Volunteer Days, and so much more. Oh and a TON of free books. There's so much to love about life at PRH, so come find out what a career within our SOC team is like, apply now and show us why you're the best person to join the team using our online application process, and please be sure you attach you resume. We look forward to hearing from you!
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz5yz3-34-237-52-11-42 in your application.