Standby Technician, Network Operations Center
- Mid (2-5 years) Experience
Standby Technician, Network Operations Center (Long-Term Temporary)
Team: Operations, Engineering & Distribution
The Standby Technician will provide technical support of various PBS systems located at the PBS Technology Center in Springfield Virginia, the PBS rain fade diversity site, and at various remote locations from the PBS Tech Center on an as needed basis to cover scheduled vacation time.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
• Maintain technical support of systems which includes equipment monitoring, problem solving, training and routine maintenance to meet the PBS goal of 99.95% on-air reliability.
• Technical Maintenance
• Review and respond to EWR (and RCSS tickets).
• Perform, test and report on daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual checks of broadcast equipment.
• Perform periodic maintenance needs.
• Respond, resolve and escalate system issues (on air & off air).
• Troubleshoot and resolve equipment issues.
• Install and/or fabricate technical equipment and other electronic, electrical or mechanical construction work as required with minimal supervision.
• Assistance with ongoing installations, projects, construction as requested.
• Monitor PBS discussion boards and respond/escalate as needed.
• Organize and inventory equipment, parts and spares.
• Coordinate with other PBS T&O units and departments.
• Coordinate and monitor outside contractors working on technical equipment.
• Assist & coordinate with PBS member stations with questions and technical issues.
• Write, review and update maintenance SOP's.
• Provide recommendations on equipment and staff training needs.
• Provide daily reports.
• Participate in meetings to review, update, or modify workflows or procedures.
• Participate in meetings to review system issues (on air & off air) as well as outstanding EWR tickets.
• Monitor program delivery of satellite feeds to PBS member stations.
• Operate PBS transponder management systems to ensure proper satellite transponder loading and power balancing.
• Operate monitor & control system control of PBS emergency and diversity earth stations.
• Coordinate satellite access' and de-access' in PBS controlled transponders from the PBS Tech Center network control center.
• Configure and operate PBS owned earth station satellite equipment to access transponders and to provide uplink and turn around services for PBS and PBS customers.
• Utilize spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, power meters, signal generators, audio and video switchers etc. to perform operations and maintenance functions.
• Respond to customer problems relating to satellite interference and ground equipment failures.
Requirements for success:
• 3+ years of experience in a multi-channel television program origination facility;
• Experience in a broadcast or cable television environment is required.
• Experience in public broadcasting preferred.
• Previous experience working with NABET union personnel is preferred.
• A minimum of an Associate degree in Electronics Technology or related discipline or industry experience is required. A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred.
• Equivalent experience is considered (eg. two years of college in a related field plus three years on the job training as a master control operator, production crew member, or a tape operator in a duplication facility);
• SBE certification is preferred.
• Ability to work independently on assignments and report back on progress.
• Excellent time management skills – must be able to prioritize tasks and adapt to rapidly changing system requirements with minimum supervision.
• Excellent stress and crisis management skills – must be able to make informed and appropriate decisions under pressure.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills – must be able to work comfortably in highly diverse, cross departmental teams and interact effectively with member station representatives;
• Should be proficient in technical writing and presentations;
• Familiarity with AutoCAD and/or other high-end drafting software is required.
• Performing ''hands on'' work such as pulling cables, installing equipment, and related activities.
• Should be familiar with applicable SMPTE, IEEE, ATSC and ITU standards.
• This position is shift based and will require evening, overnight, and weekend work.
• This position requires standing, and the ability to lift physical equipment.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia
PBS and our member stations are America’s largest classroom, the nation’s largest stage for the arts and a trusted window to the world. In addition, PBS's educational media helps prepare children for success in school and opens up the world to them in an age-appropriate way.